Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Take A Peek Inside My Bags

It's Wednesday. If you've been reading my blog for a bit (and welcome, to the new readers!), then you know I've been to the farmers market this morning.

So far, my day has gone like this:
4:50am - wake up

2hrs at the gym (details below)

Union Sq Farmers Market
kale, zucchini, NJ sweet corn, apples, cherries, peach, whole wheat roll from Hot Bread Baker, sugar snap peas, green & wax beans, and a sweet potato
we're told to eat our fruits
and veggies!

Then Whole Foods and Trader Joe's
Whole Foods: Fage (out of Chobani and this was on sale), fresh fruit for a snack
Trader Joe's: organic carrots, frozen broccoli, whole wheat muffins, tofu (I found a recipe I'm going to try this weekend!), organic black beans, cottage cheese, bananas (can't pass them up - 19 cents each!)

Then I chatted with my mom while I rode the bus back Uptown, turned on the USA vs Algeria game while I unloaded, showered, and prepared today's yogurt mess:
(Chobani 0% plain, banana, strawberries, blueberries, TJ's shredded wheat, a few peanuts)

I can't wait to try the sweet corn! I've been waiting for fresh corn to show up at the market! I was a bit skeptical that this is actually local since it's still early, but I know the Greenmarket staff does there homework and checks up on all the vendors and their products. If they have products that are off-season, the farm is checked to make sure they actually produced it. If farms violate the rules, they can loose their spot at all NYC Greenmarkets, so obviously they're not going to. (Apples being the exception - they're allowed to be put in cold storage and sold throughout the year)

Have you heard of the book The United States of Arugula? If you haven't checked out the review I posted over the weekend, you can read it HERE.

I also want to mention how proud I am of my amazing husband who is now on our local chapter of the Michigan State University Alumni Club! He's going to do an amazing job, especially beefing up the sports teams and events offered by the club.

************
workout stats -
14mile bike
20 minute StairMaster
3x12 cable pull twists
3x10 leg press
3x10 weighted side bends
3x10 hip abductor
3x10 glute kickback
3x10 straight front arm raise

8 comments:

abbi said...

Yummy! Everything you got looks delicious...enjoy!

Robyn said...

Congrat to hubby. How do you get up at 4:50am?? That's dedication.

A Runner's Mind said...

GO USA! Will watch USA vs. Ghana or Germany Saturday.
You'd never know you were in NYC...early(VERY) a.m. run, trip to local farmer's market, Whole foods and Trader Joes...til the "uptown bus" gave it away!
We eat a lot of Fage yogurt...lots of protein (15grams) for after working out. Chobani has 18g but Fage goes on sale more often!

Anonymous said...

wow you have had a productive morning for sure! congrats to the hubby!

RunToTheFinish said...

ohh i like the variety in the workout!

ahh farmers market, I say it every week but I just love it

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly said...

Holy cow...that is one intense workout! WOWZERS!!!

Molly said...

I've got the United States of Arugula on my list....I just started the Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone....it's giving me another kick in the pants about my meat consumption.

Julie @ Pickley Pear said...

Farmers markets are the best! Your yogurt mess is great. That's so great that you guys have close connections with MSU.