Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Where Does Running Take You?

This past weekend I flew out to Minneapolis to help my niece celebrate her 5th Birthday and spend time with family. With my running shoes packed tightly in my suitcase, I had plans to wake up early to log some miles before the days kicked into high gear. 

My sister's house is steps away from a running trail, which is a wonderful thing. I’d wake up while it was still dark out, dress in the layers I had laid out the night before to shield me from the 40 degree chill, put on my Garmin, Fitbit and RoadID, and warm-up a bit in the room where I was sleeping before grabbing my sunglasses and phone and heading towards the trail. 

running trail - early morning run

Saturday morning I set out with a goal of 7 miles - my longest run since pre-popliteus injury. I had studied google maps the night before and had an idea of where my run would take me, but as I was on the trail running through woods and marshland, I realized that it's rare that we actually know where our runs will take us, whether we're on a new path or one we've taken hundreds times before. And that’s a big part of the allure, isn't it?

Physically, this run took me to a silent lake where my only company consisted of a few fishermen on a dock and a man out for a morning walk with his dog. It was clear the beach is well loved on warm days, but on this particular morning I felt like the lake was my little secret slice of peace.

Lake Ann - Early Morning Run


All throughout the run my mind wandered here and there, thinking about where I’ve been and where I want to go. Both in terms of running and in life. For too long I haven’t had the luxury to let my mind wander on a run, rather too focused on how my legs are feeling and how well I can breathe. So this run was a welcomed respite. 

In stark contrast to the calm lake, my 7.5 mile run finished at a bustling car show just down the road from my sister’s neighborhood where I met up my parents to ogle over beautiful cars in elaborate garages. 

Where does running take you?

1 comment:

Blogger said...

If you are looking to buy bitcoins online, PAXFUL is the #1 source for bitcoins as it allows buying bitcoins by 100's of payment methods, such as MoneyGram, Western Union, PayPal, Visa, MasterCard, American Express and even exchanging your gift cards for bitcoins.