Sunday, October 11, 2015

Race Recap: Louisville Trail 10K (2015)

My alarm went off this morning before 6am. Most of you know what that likely means for a runner. Race day!

Woody and I ran the Louisville Trail 10k last year and very much enjoyed the small, and well run, race that's held about halfway between Denver and Boulder. We knew last year's course was changed due to lingering damage from the 2012 flood, and personally, I welcomed the changes this year which kept us running along the Coal Creek in the out and back course rather than two out and backs and a good bit of sidewalk running.

We met up with my friend who was running, along with her fiancé and their friend. The race is the last of the Endurance Race Series, which includes 9 races from April through October along the front range and mountain towns. The half marathon took off first, then then 10k followed by the 5k and a kids race.

Louisville Trail 10k - Early Morning Run


Woody headed up to the front so as not to get caught up in the traffic, while we stayed back. The race isn't that big, several hundred people, but since the trail isn't that wide there's even more jockeying around at the start than a typical road race. My friend and I stuck together and got through the crowds till we had a bit of space. The course was mostly crushed gravel and rolling hills aside from one fairly steep and intense climb. And since it's an out and back, we hit that hill twice.

It was a pretty warm day for mid-October - well into the 60's. Thankfully a good bit of the course was shaded so it wasn't too intense. When I hit the finish line Woody was waiting for me. As per usual. Turns out he finished 8th overall and 2nd in his AG. And my friend's fiancé also finished 2nd in his AG. Yeah, pretty frickin' awesome!

Louisville Trail 10k - 2nd AG - Early Morning Run

The race organizers set up a pretty great festival with several vendors including Runners Roost, Hoka One One, Yucatan Guacamole, Boulder Organics, a few others, plus a pretty big spread of food. Since the guys were getting awards, we stuck around for the ceremony so they could get their pint glasses. There were also about 10 or so people who had finished the race series season pass, meaning they had run all 9 races; they received a stainless steel growler. The series offers two other pass options - one covering the 5 front range races, the other for the 4 mountain town races.

Louisville Trail 10k - Post Race - Early Morning Run

While my finish time wasn't as good as last year (since I'm not in the shape I was in then) and I could have paced myself a bit better, I'm fairly happy with my performance and feel that I'm on track with where I want to be and getting stronger every week.

Post Race Festivities - Early Morning Run

Afterwards we walked over to our friend's house for coffee, mimosas, chocolate banana bread and biscuits (both vegan), fruit, some home brewed beer and great conversation. Overall, it was a pretty great morning.

There was a lot of racing happening around the country this weekend. Did you race? Take a minute to leave a #runbrag so we can celebrate your awesomeness!

No comments: