Sunday, March 1, 2015

2015 in 2015 Challenge - Two Month Check-In

Back at the start of the year I wrote about the 2015 in 2015 Challenge, and how Woody, Grace, and I joined forces to take it on. Two months in, it's time for a check-in.

Woody did a little math (cause that's how he rolls) and found that we need approximately 1.84 miles per day over the course of the year. That's a lot of miles, and while I've been running a number of years now, I think the only year I may have run upwards of 650 miles in one year was 2009, when I ran the NYC Marathon. This all means I have to buckle down, tie up my laces, and get on the treadmill if that's what it takes to log the miles. 

Warm weather running in Florida - Dec. 2014
So, here are my stats so far:
  • January - 63.19 miles
  • February - 74.3 miles
  • Total - 137.49
My highest mileage week was last week, tied with this week (including Mar. 1) at 18 miles. While this isn't much for some people, it's solid work for me and I'm really proud about it. After suffering from chronic stress fractures for several years, and being diagnosed with osteopenia, I have to be careful.

Running a few laps of Wash Park when Grace visited Denver - Jan. 2015!
















As a team through February we've run 353.38 miles, ahead by 27.67 miles! While Mother Nature was shining on Denver during much of January, there's been a lot of snow and cold lately - less running outdoors - so we're off to a fantastic start.

Wash Park


To support the increase in mileage I've been focused on getting enough calcium (through a variety of dark leafy greens, tofu, supplements...) and protein (beans, vegan protein shakes, nuts, tofu, quinoa...) in my diet. A little planning and prep is all it takes!

Did you run this weekend? * Have you been logging more miles on the treadmill lately or are you an all-weather runner? * Are you participating in the challenge?

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I NEED TO CATCH UP ON MY RUNNING!! Thank you guys for picking up my slack. I will crush it in March and onward!