You've likely seen this on Facebook as I did, and you may have even been like me immediately dismissing it because it just seems so daunting! Even the 1,000 mile challenges have been out of reach for me in the past (I've tried and failed) so what I really love about this challenge is that you can do it with a team to split the miles and have a built in support system.
It breaks out like this for each person:
1 person = 2,015 miles in 365 days (5.5 miles/day)
2 people = 1,007.5 miles in 365 days (2.75 miles/day)
3 people = 672 miles in 365 days (2 miles/day)
672 miles in a year, I'm pretty confident I can handle that! It'll keep me accountable - not only to myself but to my teammates - helping me achieve those PR's I have my sights set on, and encourage Woody to keep up his new hobby. He's more competitive than I am, so it'll be interesting to see how he takes this on!
The challenge is organized by Adam Goucher (retired pro-runner, running coach and husband to Kara) and Tim Catalano (running coach and educator) - co-founders of Runner the Edge - and from what I've seen thus far it seems apparent that a lot of thought and preparation has been put into the program.
Registration will be left open for a little longer, so there's still time to join in the fun. If you're thinking about it, here's what you need to know:
- The basic cost is $25 (more if you choose options like the finishers medal or a shirt)
- While teams are more than welcome, it's best to cap your team at 3 people or the challenge becomes less of a challenge
- You can form a team before or after you join, but each person needs to register individually
- Miles can be accumulated through running and walking however because the challenge is meant to be accomplished on foot, biking doesn't count. (But this doesn't rule out snowshoeing!)
- The challenge is open to anyone around the world
- Once you sign-up, you'll be able to join a private Facebook group for updates and to share encouragement with other participants, and there are freebies and discounts from partners including Oiselle and Nuun
If this all sounds fun to you, please join us! You can sign up HERE.
Grace and I will be sharing our journey on our blogs and Instagram, so if you're not already following her, be sure to head over to Lean Girls Club!
Whether this or another, what challenge are you setting for yourself this year?