Monday, October 21, 2013

Sometimes It’s Best to Suck it Up and Skip the Gym

This topic is hot on my mind as I’ve been sick for a week. I know it’s hard to accept, but sometimes the best thing to do is skip a sweat sesh and stay in bed.

Hit the gym or stay in bed

I’ve written about this in the past but it seems like a good time to revisit it; not only because I’ve been sick, but because it’s that time of year! This cold/flu thingy is making its rounds.

While I’ve been sick I have gone to the gym a few times – the first for a run on the treadmill, once for a walk/run and the third for just a swift walk, all at incline – and I put a box of Kleenex in one of the cup holders for that last workout! Woody found this amusing, I can only imagine what the others in the gym thought.

We all have different tolerance levels, but here’s a good guide to go by.

Get moving when:

  • You have mild symptoms like congestion, sniffy nose or a sore throat and can breathe without much trouble (Just be extra sure to wipe of any machines you use at the gym so you don’t spread germs!)

Pull the covers up when:

  • You have a fever
  • You’re coughing and your lungs hurt
  • You have no appetite or are dehydrated
  • Every muscle aches
  • The thought of getting out of bed is exhausting – or, you’re just really tired

If you do lace up, be sure to listen to your body as it’s not a great idea to push beyond your limits when you’re sick. Save that for when your immune system isn’t already working overtime!

Also, think about altering your workout to turn down the intensity a little – maybe go for a walk or walk/run instead of a full out run; trade burpees for lunges and monster walks. You’ll still get your heart pumping and satisfaction out of breaking a sweat. Then do your best to refuel with nutrient dense foods and lots of water!

Tomorrow morning I'm hitting the gym. Here's hoping it goes well and I'll be back to my usual self soon!

Do you take time off when you’re sick? * What gets you to skip a workout?

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I have to feel pretty crappy to skip a workout, though there are times I have started a workout and realized it is not going to be worth it and called it a day.

Lisa said...

Yep, I know what you mean. I didn't stay home from work any day when I was sick - which I know really isn't cool - but I did go home early a few days. And I tried my best to keep my distance from everyone! Thankfully I'm really starting to feel better!

Lisa said...

That's a good way to go about it if you're on the fence about it. Best to give it a try!

Lisa said...

This time, we got the following crossword puzzle clue : It's sometimes pulled while running that also known as It's sometimes pulled while running 5 letters . First, we gonna look for more hints to the It's sometimes pulled while running crossword puzzle. Then we will collect all the require information and for solving It's sometimes pulled while running crossword . In the final, we get all the possible answers for the this crossword puzzle definition.



Here are other similar crossword definitions:

Vault intersection ,

Body part often pulled in sports ;

Lisa said...

This time, we got the following crossword puzzle clue : It's sometimes pulled while running that also known as It's sometimes pulled while running 5 letters . First, we gonna look for more hints to the It's sometimes pulled while running crossword puzzle. Then we will collect all the require information and for solving It's sometimes pulled while running crossword . In the final, we get all the possible answers for the this crossword puzzle definition.



Here are other similar crossword definitions:

Vault intersection ,

Body part often pulled in sports ;

read more: http://mordo-crosswords-solution.blogspot.co.il/2013/11/its-sometimes-pulled-while-running.html