Thursday, October 17, 2013

Another Weekend, Another Trip

I love to travel. Exploring new places, seeing friends, trying new food, learning the history of the area, and of course, going for a run (or two). but before I went to Georgia the other weekend, I hadn’t traveled since I went to Minneapolis in March for my awesome nephew’s 5th birthday. I guess some would call our four day cross-country drive a trip, but I just call it endless hours sitting in a leaky Penske Truck.

Flying

It just so happened that the two trips I’m taking this fall happened two weekends in a row. First Georgia, then Michigan. Woody and I headed back to Michigan this past weekend and stayed with my parents for a few days.

We spent some time on campus (Michigan State University), walking around, checking out my Dad’s latest projects – he’s worked for the University for 40 years! – and of course, got ice cream at the MSU Dairy Store. I have no idea how I don’t have a picture of this, or my friend Jenny and her two adorable sons who met us there!

Morrill Hall Plaza Michigan State

Michigan State Campus

Of course, we timed our trip so that we could go to an MSU Football game! We happened to pick homecoming weekend and the Spartans beat the Hoosiers 42 – 28! Back in the day, I spent my fall semesters as an alto in the Spartan Marching Band. Much like being on a sports team, it taught me discipline, teamwork, leadership skills, and at a school of more than 42,000 students, I had an instant family. It also often kicked my butt. The SMB is a hardcore marching band and you had to be in shape, or you got in shape during pre-season drills. One of my favorite parts of being in the SMB was the march to the stadium, so of course, we watched the band march to the stadium before the game. I’m pretty sure I could still do The Series today if someone asked me to!

Sparty

Spartan Marching Band

Spartan Marching Band Altos

MSU Footbal Game

We also took a little road trip with my parents over to Saugatuck, a little town near Lake Michigan, went to the beach and watched the sun set from a state park in Holland (we weren’t the only ones with that idea!) before finishing the night off with dinner at a brewery. It was a little chilly, but a beautiful and fun day.

Lake Michigan

Mom & Dad Lake Michigan

Standing in Lake Michigan

Saugutuck

sunset in Holland

In between all of this we managed to find time for a run, a workout at the local Powerhouse Gym (a day pass is only 5 bucks!), a few meals with friends and family and lots of time to catch up with my parents and play with their cats! It was a fantastic, action packed weekend that I wouldn’t trade for anything. That said, I am looking forward to this weekend and having time to rest and get over this cold that decided to ruin my week. Oh, and go spectate the Rock n Roll Denver Marathon with my Oiselle teammates!

Do you have any trips planned? * Are you racing this fall? (I have two on my list that I just need to pull the trigger on and sign-up for!)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I love seeing the photos of the marching band + Sparty going to the stadium! That is one of my favorite parts of game day :) Glad you had good weather for your trip!

Lisa said...

I LOVE that photo of you and Woody! Glad you had some time with your family on your old stomping grounds.

No trips planned, except visiting family this holiday season. However, planning on visiting yo next year.