Thursday, July 18, 2013

A Little Deliciousness: Quinoa Stuffed Peppers

A while ago after seeing this breakfast stuffed pepper recipe on Lean Girls Club I got the urge to try my hand at making stuffed peppers, but it wasn’t until just recently that I actually did it. I haven’t spent a lot of time cooking the last month or so with the move, starting a new job and getting into a new routine, but Sunday night I made it my mission to make these peppers. Going on little more than an idea of what could go well together and inspiration from LGC, I started pulling ingredients out of the fridge.

The below are approximations (I don’t seem to measure often when I cook) of the ingredients I used for the filling of two stuffed peppers. I kept it pretty simple for my first try.

  • 1 cup cooked quinoa
  • 1/3 cup black beans
  • 1/2 cup mix of chopped onion & chopped zucchini
  • 1 tbs. balsamic vinaigrette
  • Fresh ground pepper
  • Chipotle & Turmeric to taste

I pre-heated the oven at 350’ (and discovered 15 minutes later that our oven is off by 50 degrees – good to know), mixed the stuffing ingredients listed above, cut the tops off the two peppers which I purchased at the Farmers Market, chopping up the tops and adding to the mix, then stuffed. I placed in a baking dish sprayed with olive oil spray.

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers step 1

Then topped off with a little salsa…

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers step 2

After baking for about 45 minutes I added a little cheese and put back in for another 10 minutes. Here’s the end result…deliciousness in a pepper!

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers Step 3

It turned out how I had hoped but next time I’ll add corn and some spinach to bump up the nutrition even a little more!

We had salmon as a protein alongside the stuffed peppers, what would you pair this with? * IT’S FRIDAY!! What’s on tap for your weekend?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Can I just say that looks ridiculously delicious! !! :-) thanks for sharing!

Lisa said...

I love stuffed peppers! Yours look amazing as well...and i'm a big fan of salsa as you know :)