Tuesday, June 5, 2012

What Runners and Wall St Traders Have in Common

Often when I get home from work at 9pm, like tonight, the last thing I want to have for dinner is something heavy and dinner-like. All I wanted was some yogurt and fruit with chia seeds. Like many other runners and generally health-minded people, I add Chia to just about everything I can.

Turns out traders on Wall St like chia seeds too. So funny to think that Chia, which made Chia Pets the best gag gift of the 90’s, is now a favorite of athletes and Wall St traders, who swear by the little taste-less wonder seeds for energy and nutrition.

Last week Woody pointed out THIS article in Bloomberg Businessweek about traders turning to Chia seeds instead of endless supplies of coffee, Red Bull, and 5 Hour Energy (so gross) for the energy they need to get through the day. Because of the nature of the job, the men and women working the trading desks are basically chained to their desk all day long. Apparently some firms buy the traders lunch every day because they can’t be away from their desks that long. I would not do well as a trader.

Anyway, it makes sense that athletes introduced their fellow traders to Chia seeds, but I just find it interesting how Chia is being used by this group. While it doesn’t have caffeine, it definitely has other benefits that they seem to like. Maybe the fact that we live a block from Wall St has something to do with my fascination about this, even though most of the trading floors aren’t actually on Wall St anymore. I don’t know.

  • Do you eat Chia seeds? What do you add them to?
  • Is this article pointless or do you find it as randomly interesting as I do?

Okay, I’m off to bed! Have a good night!

No comments: