No, not Spartan Green (although I can give you tips for that, too). Ever wonder if there's any other simple things you can do to help the environment? Or save a few dollars? Here are a few quick ideas.
1. Remember what you're parents told you when you were young: turn the lights off when you leave the room.
2. To save a few dollars and electricity, close your blinds and turn off your air conditioner when you leave for work.
3. Choose compact fluorescent lighbulbs (cfls) instead of traditional ones. They use 25% less electricity and can last 10 times longer.
4. Recycle newspapers (they're great for soaking up water in wet sneakers) and magazines. I will often take magazines I'm done with to the gym and leave them on the stand for others to read. They're usually gone within a few minutes.
5. Unplug appliances and other equipment when they're not in use. They use energy even when they're not on!
6. If you're looking to buy new appliances, look for those with Energy Star certification, which use 10 to 50% less electricity.
7. Charge your phone and iPods during the day rather than leaving them plugged in all night.
8. Try walking more to your destination rather than jumping in the car for a quick errand. Or, take public transportation.
9. Sign-up for email statements from your bank, credit cards and for your other bills.
10. Use reusable glass jars and containers to store dry goods and leftovers instead of plastic bags and containers. Not only is it good for the environment but better for your health, too!
11. Take reusable bags with you when you go shopping. To make sure you don't forget, keep one in your purse or a few in your car so you won't be caught without one!
12. Skip the over-priced bottled (tap) water from the store and keep your own reusable water bottle on hand! TapIt Water helps you find stores and restaurants where you can re-fill your bottle! (And not just in NYC)
What is your favorite green tip?
workout stats -
1.5mile walk to Bryant Park
Salutation Nation Yoga Class!