Sunday, November 8, 2009

Book Review: Mindless Eating

I just finished reading a great book by Brian Wansink, Ph.D., "Mindless Eating." You may have heard of it before. By no means do I regret spending $12.00 on this entertaining, highly informative, and slightly alarming book.


Throughout the 249 pages, Wansink discusses studies conducted by the Cornell University Food & Brand Lab, which he oversees, as well as other studies done by highly regarded professionals in the field. Since I want you ALL to read this book, I'm not going to tell you everything, but here are a few of the tidbits of information I found interesting.



1. The Mindless Margin: by cutting 100-200 calories per day, which typically does not affect a person's hunger level and can be done in simple ways, a person can lose 10-20 pounds in a year!

2. We learn out eating habits as children and they tend to stay with us as we age. Example: If a kid learns to fill up on their favorite foods first, as an adult they will probably still load up on the high calorie foods first before reaching for the fruits and veggies.

3. Children can pick up on the slightest signals a parent or caregiver gives off when it comes to food, thus influencing their likes and dislikes.

4. (This idea is fairly common sense, but it's still worth noting.) The size of the plate or bowl food is served in should not be overlooked. We tend to eat until all the food on our plate is gone, whether we really need it to satisfy our hunger or not. So, use a smaller plate and serve food in the kitchen rather than at the table. This way, we'll have to think twice about getting up for another helping.

We should definitely enjoy food - for the tastes, smells, nourishment of body and soul. It is meant to be shared with others. I definitely suggest you read this book. It's NOT a diet book. At the very least, it's entertaining and a fast read. Take from it what you want. I know that after reading this book, I am inspired to follow Wansink's advice and start paying more attention to my own personal food scripts and alter them for the better. I think I'll enjoy my food more and feel better and stronger.

The book can be purchased at any book retailer, and you can find out more information on Wansink's site: Mindless Eating.


1 comment:

Chris said...

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the review.