Monday, December 30, 2013

Taking My Workout to the Bar

Tomorrow we leave for Pasadena (Go Spartans!), but today I have the day off and wanted to really take advantage of having a week day off and be in town! I finally took some time on Saturday to just relax, do some walking around the city and sit and have a glass of wine in a local bar and read a book. It was the first – “there is nothing I absolutely have to do today” – day in a long time, and I made it count.

Today, to make it count, I tried out a Bar Method class at a studio in Cherry Creek, one of my favorite neighborhoods in Denver. I took a similar class years ago in NYC, but thought I’d give it a try again. Plus, at this particular studio, new students get to try their first class for free!

While I was the first to arrive the studio filled up quickly and the class was pretty full. I was a little surprised given this was a 12pm class on Monday, but I’m guessing many others had the day off too! I loved that there were women of all ages in this class, probably partly to do with the fact that it’s a very low-impact activity and great building muscles.

The Bar Method_Denver

This studio, along with one in Boulder, is owned by Leslie Rosenberg, who also taught the class I took. I was quickly welcomed to the studio, given the run down of where everything is and what to do once I got in the studio. If you haven’t taken a Bar Method class before, the studio floor is carpeted and students are required to wear socks and pants that fall below the knee.

I grabbed some weights and found a spot before the room filled up and class started. To my delight, Leslie knew my name and encouraged (and correct) students throughout the hour long session by name. I am notoriously bad at remembering names so the fact that she knew everyone, including me, was quite impressive.

The class was a mix of strength exercises with and without weights, at the ballet bar, in the center of the room and on a cushioned mat. The moves focus on arms, thighs, butt, abs, and back, resulting in a great, full-body workout that makes muscles ache and legs quiver.

The Bar Method_Denver_Studio

While I didn’t work up a big sweat, like I do running or doing my Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred videos (which I’ve been doing regularly lately, including this morning before The Bar Method class) I know it was a really good workout and I’m feeling great, albeit a little sore! I definitely want to take this class again.

30 Day Shred

I haven’t tried a new class for a long time, so I’m glad I was able to get one more in before the end of the year. I’m definitely going to make it a priority next year to try more fitness classes and adventures. Including snowshoeing!

Okay, time to get packing. Off to Pasadena tomorrow for the Rose Bowl! I hope you’ve all been enjoying a great holiday season! See you in 2014!

What new fitness activities have you tried lately, or are planning to try in the new year? * Have any plans for NYE? * What’s been your favorite part of the holidays?

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I have never taken a Bar class but it has intrigued me. One day.

Lisa said...

I haven't done an official class, but have done some of the moves and love that they hit all the tiny muscles!!

Lisa said...

One of the nurses I work with actually teaches Bar Method here in the city, so for awhile a bunch of us took classes there. I have the lack of flexibility of a distance runner, so I always felt so self-conscious when I couldn't even get my leg on the bar! (But the instructors always made me feel fine about it.) I thought that it was hard when I was doing it (they say runners shake the most because we only work the same muscles over and over), but didn't feel much of a difference after. Plus, I like to sweat! It was fun to try and the instructors were in crazy good shape, but it's really expensive and not totally up my alley.

Lisa said...

i'm looking forward to taking a barre class with Physique 57, a different spin class with Flywheel, a Cross Fit class, under water spin, and archery. One of my resolutions is to try more classes!