Friday, October 12, 2012

Just Another Adventure

I realized something really important on Sunday as we hiked up Bradbury Mountain in Maine. I realized just how lucky I am.

While there are definitely things I wish I didn’t have to deal with, I really am pretty fortunate. And one example is all the traveling I’ve been able to do. There are many people who travel a lot more than we do, but I do count myself as being pretty lucky for having the opportunity to visit as many places as I have and also that it’s just as important to Woody as it is to me.

Just thinking back over the past year+, we’ve been to Raleigh, Seattle, Denver, Charleston, the Finger Lakes, Northern Michigan (okay, so that’s almost like going home), Denver (again) and Maine. Plus I’ve gone to Minneapolis and Vancouver for work. I mean, that’s not bad. We haven’t always traveled so much, but it’s something that’s important to us and we decided to make it a priority. If you don’t make plans, life can pass you by before you pack a bag. Now, we’re trying to decide where to go next.

The thing is, I feel that traveling is an important part of life. We get to experience new things, taste new foods, see new sights, and run in new places. I guess it was our trip to Raleigh when we started incorporating active events into our trips. Like running, hiking, kayaking. It’s a great way to get to know a place.

This last weekend in Maine was no different for us. Well, we spent much more time shopping at outlet stores (can’t pass up a pair of boots that are 70% off), noshing on chowdah and checking out lighthouses, but we did visit two State Parks as well for some hiking. Aside from thinking about how lucky I am, I was also thinking that I bet my Dad is amazed that I actually seek out State Parks to visit on vacation now!

A few pictures from our latest adventure. If you ever have the chance to visit Maine, I recommend whole heartedly that you do!

Wolf's Neck State Park

IMG_2365

If you’re looking for fresh air and to get in touch with nature, head to Wolfe’s Neck State Park and Bradbury Mountain State Park

WP_000350

IMG_2380IMG_2387

IMG_2390

If Lighthouses are your thing, head to South Portland and Cape Elizabeth

WP_000365

Finding great local food is always an important part of a trip. Our recommendations: El Rayo (Mexican with great atmosphere), Flatbread (delicious pizzas), Standard Baking Co (amazing pastries), and Hot Suppa (awesome brunch), The Lobster Shack (exactly what you imagine when you think of a seaside lobster shack); If you’re looking for a place with an awe inspiring craft beer selection with a  knowledgeable staff and cool vibe, head to Novare Res Bier CafĂ©

Thanks to Erin for all the perfect recommendations! And for welcoming us to Maine!

And now it’s time for another weekend! Just have to get this pesky workday out of the way. After I visit the chiropractor.

  • Do you love to travel or rather stick to home?
    • I think you know where I stand on this!
  • I got a mani/pedi yesterday and totally smudged my right thumb before I left the salon. Does this happen to you too?
    • I’m not patient enough for manicures
  • Do you watch Parenthood?
    • This season I cannot get through an episode without tearing up. I only watch it when Woody isn’t home.
  • What are your plans for the weekend?
    • Running a few miles with Grace to keep her company on her 20-miler and cleaning out my closet!!

************

Today’s workout -

  • 45min elliptical
  • 3x10 side twists
  • 2x1min rope pull
  • 3x10 seated row
  • ab exercises
  • stretching

2 comments:

Molly said...

I really want to reach into my computer screen and grab that roll! I manage to smudge my nails too, usually on my car keys : )

RunTraveler said...

I really enjoyed this post! I feel the same way about being lucky to get to travel so much... Much of my travel (lately) is for work or work conferences, but I get to run, work, and eat my way through lots of cool towns, so I can't complain!


PS - I miss chowdah!
Thankfully one of my upcoming trips is to New England to visit my family... :-)