Monday, July 2, 2012

Picnic Perfect

If you’ve read any of my cooking posts before, you probably know already that I am not the world’s best recipe writer. I try, but most of the time I’m adding and testing as I go and if it turns out really well, I’m not patient enough to try the recipe a few times before I share it with you!

So, below is my recipe for a picnic perfect potato salad! I made this for our Memorial Day picnic and thought this is the perfect time to share it since people are getting ready for 4th of July picnics and BBQ’s.

What makes this perfect? It doesn’t include any mayo so you don’t have to worry about it being cooled, and it’s actually pretty healthy. As far as potato salad goes!

I made this just for the two of us, so I hate to say it, but you’ll have to figure out on your own how much of each ingredient you’ll need. It’s a really easy recipe though that doesn’t require many ingredients, so it shouldn’t be too bad. I did a lot of taste testing!

IMG_1824

What you’ll need:

  • Small potatoes – red, white & purple
  • chopped onion
  • corn (I used frozen)
  • olive oil
  • balsamic vinegar
  • thyme
  • pepper

Steps:

  1. Boil potatoes until tender
  2. If using frozen corn, cook in microwave. This is a small part of the salad, so you don’t need much unless you really love corn!
  3. Chop onion into small pieces
  4. In a small bowl, combine olive oil and balsamic vinegar with a ratio of 1 to .75 – this is just a light dressing and it spreads and combines into the other ingredients really well, so you don’t need much.
  5. When potatoes are cooked, cut in half and quarters as necessary
  6. Place in bowl and mix with corn and onion
  7. Add dressing mixture in small amounts and mix into potato, onion, corn mixture thoroughly so you don’t add too much too quickly, you don’t want it oily!
  8. Add pepper and thyme to taste
  9. Chill in fridge for several hours or overnight

As with a lot of things, we thought this tasted great after chilling overnight. It’s a great make ahead dish so you’re not too busy the day of your picnic or BBQ. Both Woody and I were happy with how this turned out – light, simple and the three types of potato adds a lot of flavor. Now that I’m writing this, I think I’m going to make it again this Wednesday! It was good. If you try it, let me know what you think!

  • What’s your favorite picnic/BBQ menu item?
  • Which do you like better – potato salad or coleslaw
  • Are you the person your friends and family can always count on to contribute something ‘healthy’ to the picnic?

************

Today’s workout -

  • 45min bike
  • 3x10 lateral arm raise
  • 3x12 hammer curl
  • ab exercises
  • 12 push-ups (don’t laugh, I’m weak but working on it!)
  • 1x50sec plank
  • stretching

No comments: