Sunday, July 8, 2012

My On and Off Relationship with Yoga

For most of this year, my relationship with yoga has been more off than on. But not this week. It’s been on this week! So on!

I heard about Yoga Vida a while ago and made a mental note to try out the studio. A few times I checked out the schedule hoping I could make a class but it didn’t work out until earlier this week. Tuesday afternoon, Grace and I met for our first class at the 99 University location. Turns out a lot of other people had the same idea – Off work early for the 4th of July holiday makes it the perfect time to take a yoga class!

Yoga Vida has a great offer for first time students – $10 for the first class, which comes with unlimited class for one week and one free mat and towel rental (each). The University Place location is great as it’s only a few blocks from Union Square which means it’s easily accessible from several subway stations. The studio occupies the 6th floor of an office building. Leave your shoes at the door and get ready to relax.

There are two studios but the classes I took this week were all in the large studio (pictured below). There are large windows along two walls, lots of space for mats, ceiling fans and cubby holes in the back for your things. There’s a nice lounge with a few couches and a table covered in newspapers and magazines. A wall is covered with mats people store at the studio so they don’t have to lug them around the city (of which I definitely see the benefit of). Four changing rooms are in one corner – plenty of privacy but in the lounge and a long line forms directly after class. The people are nice, the studio is comfortable and the skill level of students is varied.

Yoga Vida_large studio

Because I like to take advantage of a good deal, I took three classes at Yoga Vida this past week – each Flow, but each very different. There was a different teacher for each class with a unique style, and all fantastic. Each class was a great workout that taught me something new. I have to say, I do appreciate when the teacher demonstrates some poses throughout the class and also helps to correct postures when necessary. Sometimes I wonder if my pose is right, and it’s really helpful to be corrected when it’s not so that I am able to do it right the next time. When we’re not corrected, we’ll probably continue to do it wrong again. Today, the teacher corrected my form on two poses and while I felt like I was going to topple over, it was so enlightening to feel how it’s really supposed to feel. Maybe one day I’ll get there on my own!

While the first visit is a great deal, single drop-in classes are only $12 each, which really isn’t bad compared to other studios. They also have packages to make classes cheaper. I’d love to take more yoga classes but with my gym membership adding yoga on a regular basis is just too expensive for my budget. After these three classes though, I’m sure I’ll find my way back to Yoga Vida every once in a while! One other thing I want to mention about this studio: the music was great! Personally, I love a more modern soundtrack and these classes did not disappoint!

Yoga Vida - two locations: 99 University, 666 Broadway www.yogavida.com

Today after class I decided to reward myself with an iced cold tea from Argo Tea! This hit the spot!

Post Yoga_Argo Tea

  • Do you yoga?
  • What’s your favorite workout on non-running days?
  • How have you kept cool during the recent heat waves?
  • What was the highlight of your weekend?

************

Today’s workout -

  • 45min run 
  • 3x10 upright row
  • 3x10 weighted side bend
  • 3x10 lat pulldown 
  • 2x15 back extension
  • ab exercises
  • Yoga class

5 comments:

Yo Momma Runs said...

I freakin love yoga! It feels almost as good as paying someone 80 bucks to give me a massage. An I am equally relaxed by the end.

Lauren said...

On an unrelated note, I have to thank you for turning me onto Carrot Stick Press, great notecards (you sent me a thank you on one of their cherry cards if I recall). Second, I too am on again/off again with yoga and I'm off right now. I barre on non run days, I did a flywheel class this weekend too. I have heard good things about this studio.

BarbCHansen said...

Did you see Alec Baldwin taking class at his wife's studio?

What's Carrot Stick Press?

Lisa_earlymorningrun said...

So glad to hear you love the cards! I am obsessed with unique cards and stationary! I have to try barre sometime, I hear it's a great workout.

Lisa_earlymorningrun said...

Nope, I was kind of hoping too, but I think they were busy getting married! Was that the same weekend? Carrot Stick Press? The cherry note cards you gave me a while ago!