Monday, October 10, 2011

Detroit Half Marathon Training Recap: Week 9

Six days until the half marathon! It’s finally almost here. And just in time, too.

detroit half wk 9

Monday -

After running 12 miles last Sunday (the longest run of the training cycle) I took Monday as a rest day. My legs felt stiff and heavy.

Tuesday -

Took a little coaxing to get me out of bed but once I started my run I felt great! I was really surprised how easily it came Tuesday morning and how quickly it was over. Yes, it was only 3 miles, but still flew by.

Wednesday -

So, I admit it. I took another rest day. My legs were still feeling really heavy and stiff and I thought it would be best to get more rest. My week was turning out to be pretty exhausting and stressful at work, so I thought the extra sleep might be what I needed more than a x-training session. Looking back it might have been better to go and spend a little time on the bike loosening up my legs.

Thursday -

Still feeling tight, I got up and went for my run. It was a beautiful morning and the weather was incredible. One of those runs that made me really thankful to have the opportunity to watch the sun rise. I couldn’t help but stop and take a picture.

WP_000441

Friday -

It is unheard of for me to take 3 rest days in one week when I’m not on vacation, sick or injured, but that’s exactly what I did this week.

Saturday -

Easy three mile run that took me to Whole Foods. I needed to do a little grocery shopping and wanted to get it done early, so why not combine a run and errand?

Sunday -

While I guess I’m technically in taper mode, I had one last long run to do. 9 miles on the plan and 9 miles is what I did. My legs were still really tight and heavy so the last few miles were a bit tough. I have trouble pacing, so I also kept having to remind myself to slow down. It was really warm on Sunday as we’re having a summer like weather this weekend and I definitely prefer to run in cool weather. I finished the 9 miles, put some ice packs on my legs and drank mint tea (the tea, and eating a low fiber dinner the night before is helping my post-run stomach!).

Overall it was a good week of training but I wish my legs weren’t so stiff. I stretch morning and night and before and after my runs, so I’m not too sure what else too do except keep stretching! Other than that, I’m feeling pretty good about this race on Sunday. I’m excited to go home, see my family, see some friends, go to the Michigan State football game, and maybe a visit to a cider mill even!

  • What was the best part of your weekend?
    • Mini-golf with Woody on Pier 25, finding a random hidden community garden on Houston St and taking the east river ferry to the Brooklyn Flea! (more tomorrow)
  • Do you ever combine your run with errands?
    • Sometimes, like Saturday.
  • Do you love or loathe taper?
    • I have no strong feelings one way or the other, especially when taper is only a few days long for a half marathon

************

Today’s workout -

  • stretching
  • ab exercises

3 comments:

B.o.B. said...

good week girl! taking an extra rest day when your body needs is totally acceptable. :)

come see me at the women's running booth at the expo on friday and saturday. just tell me you're early morning run lisa!

Anonymous said...

i just found your blog! I am from florida, but my fiancees family is from MI. I am coming to run the Detroit half-marathon also and because they are huge MSU fans, we will also be at the UM/MSU game on Saturday! :) too funny!

Gina; The Candid RD said...

We have our half marathon this weekend too. I'm not running in it...but...I look up to all those who are!
Good luck to you, you'll do great.