Monday, September 26, 2011

Detroit Half-Marathon Training Recap: Week 7

I’m another week closer to the half marathon with another bump up in the mileage and (thankfully) I’m feeling pretty good!

detroit half wk 7

Monday -

Went to the gym and spent a good 45minutes on the stationary bike then finished up with a short strength training session. I always do a little stretching at our apartment before we head to the gym so I can jump right on the machines when we get there,  not wasting any time.

Tuesday -

Easy 3 mile run. Took my new morning route that stays on the main streets most of the way. Had to pass the protesters camped out in Zuccotti Park and all the cops watching them, then found out the water fountains in City Hall park have been turned off. Overall, it was a good run.

Wednesday –

Back to the gym for some more quality time with the stationary bike. I’ve decided to forgo the elliptical on my x-training days so I give my legs a bit of rest from the impact as the mileage increases. I don’t want to risk another injury. Especially this close to the race!

Thursday –

It’s been a while since I’ve done more than 5 miles before work. I mapped out a route that combined two 3 mile routes, which meant I doubled up on a small section. This was good because I needed to stop at the Wall Street pier to grab a drink from the drinking fountain. What I didn’t need though, was to see the naked man standing by the pier. Thankfully it was still dark and he was turned towards the water. Overall, it was a good run and I’m glad it wasn’t raining.

Friday –

Rest day!!

Saturday –

This was an odd workout because it was race day! I had 3 miles on the calendar but, well, the 5th Avenue Mile is only 1. I’m not sure how many miles I ran, exactly, because I warmed up around the area then ran the race. It was definitely different than any other I’d done, and it was a lot of fun. (race recap to come tomorrow)

Sunday –

This was a big run for me. 10 miles. My longest in a long time. I was nervous about this, especially since the forecast again called for rain and it’s been warm and insanely humid this whole week. I really wasn’t sure how it would turn out. Thankfully, it didn’t rain, but the humidity was pretty wretched. It was warm and sticky, the area was pretty busy with the protest and thousands of runners for the Tunnel to Towers 5, and I was running into the wind for several miles as I went uptown, but I finished the 10 miles! Woohoo!

So, here’s the big question I have for you. After my longer runs – about 7 miles or longer – for several hours, almost the rest of the day, I get on and off stomach cramps. It’s the weirdest thing and pretty much sucks the fun out of the rest of the day. One minute I’ll be fine, the next in pain. Do you know what I’m talking about? Any tips on how to stop this? (other than not running longer than 7 miles) This happened when I was training for the marathon too. It doesn’t seem to matter what I eat the night before, or pre-run, or during the run, it just happens.  I’d love any suggestions!!

Next Saturday will be my longest run before my race – 12 miles. I’m trying to figure out how I can run my six miler on Thursday in Central Park before work to get in some more hills.

  • What was the best part of your weekend?
  • Have you ever run a 1 mile race?
  • How do you spend the day after a long run?

************

Today’s workout –

  • stretching, REST DAY!

3 comments:

misszippy said...

Congrats on getting back to the 10-mile mark! I always feel like a runner when I can do at least 10. On the stomach issues...maybe look into what you are eating before/after and try tweaking it a bit. Good luck with it.

Barbara said...

I just wonder if your stomach is telling you to eat more after the trace. My stomach will hurt if I haven't eaten for a while.. I know you're trying to be gluten free , what abiout gluten free pasta ?

Erin Masi said...

I did the 5th Ave Mile too!! Such a fun race!!