Monday, June 6, 2011

Running with Friends

We're all about truth here at Early Morning Run. When Grace joined the staff at the company I worked for, life there was pretty shaky. Not long before we had gone through a pretty major restructuring and the office was a very different place from what I had known. I wasn't sure what to think of this woman, who was hired just after many of my friends had been laid off. Thankfully, it didn't take me long to figure out what an amazing person she is and we soon became friends.

It's also true, that we bonded over running. We became the runners in the office and were always trying to recruit others to run with us. For a while, we did a great job; starting a weekly run group after work that included people from other labels as well! Our jobs were usually so hectic that we'd hardly have time to talk about "real life" so we'd use this time, not just for office gossip, but also to find out what was happening in each others lives. Over the years, we have confessed our hopes, fears, and dreams to each other and the miles of pavement in Central Park. We trained for the marathon together, we encourage each other through the tough miles and cheer each other on for accomplishments.

Since fate took me down another path, we haven't had the chance to run together quite as often as we once did. We have enjoyed yoga and boot camp together, but, I suppose my injuries as well, have kept us from the park. Saturday morning that changed. To prepare for the Mini 10k coming up this Saturday, I wanted another shot in Central Park to see how my leg was doing. I emailed Grace to see if she wanted to join me. We met a little after 8:30 Saturday morning at Columbus Circle. The sky was gray and it was a bit chilly. (Much different from the week before.) Over the next few miles of bridle path we chatted and caught up on everything that's been going on. We only talked about work in passing. It was all about "real life" on this run. Her strength, kindness and determination inspire me to no end. The miles went by and I felt great. We finished our run strong, sprinting to the fence; last Saturday I was fading by the end. 

I usually don't mind running by myself. It's actually how I do most of my runs. I like the chance to think and have some quiet, but this week, the run with Grace was just what I needed. 


  • What was the highlight of your weekend?
  • What are you looking forward to this week?
************
Saturday's workout -
~4mile run
lots of stretching
~2.5mile walk

Sunday's workout -
45min elliptical
2x17 upright row
2x20 hammer curl
2x15 leg curl
2x17 leg extension
100 crunches
stretching

Today's workout -
35min elliptical
100 crunches
2x15 reverse crunches
2x20 lat pulldown
2x15 weighted side bends
foam roller
stretching

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Highlights of my weekend? warm weather, canucks winning game 2, beach time, mariners game...

Fitness Freak said...

Running is a Good workout, minimum amount of investment & maximum benefits.

Rose @ Eat, Drink, and Be Meiri said...

Having a running friend at work is great.

My weekend was pretty action packed. I ran a mud run, played in a bounce house at my niece's birthday, gardened, and slept a whole ton.

Rach @ Girl on the Run said...

I'm glad you are feeling better, and glad to hear that you are able to do the mini on sat...see you there!