Friday, February 4, 2011

5 For Friday

Another week is (almost) in the books, not to mention another month! I can't believe it's February already. Thankfully, we're getting closer to Spring! The sun was starting to come up over Brooklyn as I walked home from the gym at 6:30am! The days are getting longer and I couldn't be happier. Soon I might be running outside in the morning again. I have to admit that I was lazy today. I woke up and even though I had running on my schedule, I just couldn't bring myself to get on the treadmill and opted for the elliptical instead. I did tack on an extra 5 minutes, but I know it's not the same workout as running. Oh well, I still got my heart rate up and I'll do better next week!

1.The other day I came across an articles summarizing one of those research studies that just seems so obvious it's ridiculous that people spent time and money on it. Apparently, kids who are fed unhealthy foods grow to prefer them. Amazing, right? And maybe some of you can explain this to me, why do some parents try to feed their kids right but then eat poorly themselves? Has 'lead by example' fallen to the wayside?

2. Speaking of eating well.... it seems there are some people now who believe that eating breakfast doesn't affect the amount of calories you'll eat throughout the day. Obviously this goes against what most nutritionists have been saying for years, and personally, I don't buy it. I can say for myself, that if I don't eat a good breakfast in the morning, I'm starving way before noon and will eat more the rest of the day once I do start eating. This study involved only a small amount of subjects and I definitely think that it all depends on the individual. Maybe eating breakfast doesn't matter for some people, but I don't think it's wise to tell people that anyone can skip breakfast and it won't matter.

3.  Did you hear that the 2010 Dietary Guidelines were released the other day? Yep, on January 31st, 2011. Gotta love how well our government agencies hits deadlines! I haven't read through everything yet, but Marion Nestle has and you can read her thoughts about the new guidelines HERE. As far as the executive summary goes, it does state that Americans need to reduce the amount of sodium intake, eat smaller portion sizes, be more physically active, and more. This is a good start, but we'll see if their other recommendations take shape and our culture starts to change. 

4. I'm particularly excited about two things this weekend. a) tomorrow I'm meeting Grace and Kether at the early hour of 8am to take a bootcamp class! I'm nervous because I know it's going to be intense, but I need a little kick in the butt! And, I'm doing it with two of the most supportive women I know! b) Sunday morning Grace and I are volunteering at God's Love We Deliver to help prepare food for people who are too sick to shop or prepare food. We signed up through a group called Urban Girl Squad. We've never attended one of their social or volunteer events, but I'm really looking forward to this opportunity to spend a few hours doing something for someone else.

5. Last week I told you about the NYRR Young Professionals Committee event at Flywheel, with support from Lululemon, to raise funds for youth running. Well, as of last night, it is sold out! The invite just went out today to our mailing list and it sold out within hours! We're beyond thrilled! We have a bunch of other great events coming up, including a women's fashion night on March 2nd. Stay tuned for more details. Or, better yet, 'like' our facebook page so you get all the info right away!

I hope you have a great weekend!!
  • What did you do this week that you're proud of or happy about?
  • Do you know why some parents try to teach their kids to eat well but then don't do it themselves?
  • Do you eat breakfast?
  • What are you excited for this weekend?
************
Thursday's workout -
5mile run
3x10 cable pull push down
3x12 upright row

 
Today's workout -
55min elliptical
2x40sec planks
stretching

5 comments:

J said...

I ALWAYS eat breakfast. Coffee and oatmeal in the summer. Sometimes I switch it up to eggs or cereal. Have fun at Boot camp class!

gracekelle said...

Thanks for mentioning the Dietary Guidelines. I will definitely have to check it out. I heard Marion Nestle speak while I was still at NYU. She is an incredibly intelligent woman and has a way of explaining things and persuading you of what is "right" or good without pushing her agenda on you.

See you at Boot Camp tomorrow :)

Lauren said...

Starting young, when it comes to eating nutritious, is very important to me. Especially working in a school, I see how unhealthy some kids eat and am disappointed. Unfortunately, we can not go into peoples homes, but we can serve more nutritious breakfast and lunch in school cafes!

As for breakfast, it is my favorite meal of the day! Have a great weekend!!

Karen Seal said...

As for #1 on this list...wow. Took a lot of geniuses to figure that one out, huh? LOL I agree about Breakfast as well...if I don't eat it, I'm STARVING and I eat so much more during the day!

Lisa said...

I think breakfast is the best meal of the day!! I could really eat it any time (and I do). Plus, it's so important for kids to start the day with a good healthy breakfast to help them learn and retain everything they do in school.