Our presentation to our client yesterday went well and we were all glad when it was over! Stressful week and only today left until the weekend!
1. Mark Zuckerberg is the latest millionaire to join Warren Buffet and Bill & Melinda Gate's effort to enlist the wealthiest people in America to pledge at least half of their wealth to philanthropic causes and charitable organizations. While The Giving Pledge isn't a legal contract, all participants (also including Michael Bloomberg, Ted Turner, Diane Von Furstenberg and Barry Diller, and many others) must make a public statement announcing their intentions. It's a great initiative and I'm happy to see whenever someone joins this elite group.
2. It's the holiday season and, like me, you might be stumped on what to get a friend or family member. If you are, check out the Grub Street Gift Guide for some great ideas for your favorite foodie! So far there are 3 parts to the guide and I wouldn't be surprised if more are added. The first highlights regional specialties from all across the country, the second features expert picks, and the last is a list of classes and tours. Woody and I can personally vouch for the Grasshopper portion of the Momofuku Frankenpie (so good!).
3. Also while hanging out on Grub Street I read the sad news that IHOP is planning to open 24 locations in the NYC metro area, including one in Times Square. Now, I spent my fair share of hours at the IHOP in East Lansing after High School football games and Woody and I even went to one a few times while we were dating, but it's just not cool for IHOP to be moving into Times Square. Just like TGI Friday should not be in Union Square. A quick note to anyone who may visit NYC, please, please, please do not eat breakfast, lunch or dinner at a national chain restaurant. There are so many amazing places to enjoy a quick meal or a luxurious lingering dinner, try something uniquely New York City when you're here. If you're worried about knowing if it's a good place or not, chances are that if it's really busy, then it is!
4. When the temperatures get cold, I love a cup of really good hot cocoa. Travel & Leisure magazine has put together a list of the best hot chocolate in the country. Once when my parents were visiting, we visited my favorite chocolate shop in the city and tried their hot chocolate (which is also the first one on this list). It was so thick, it was literally like drinking liquid chocolate. I couldn't even finish the whole little cup and I LOVE chocolate! It is delicious though!
5. I was made well aware the other day that there are only two weeks before Christmas. We have yet to buy a Christmas tree, and haven't even started our holiday card list or shopping. I need to work on the menus for our Christmas Eve dinner and Christmas day meal. I have to find a church downtown so we can attend a Christmas Eve service. I haven't put up one decoration. Thankfully my parents sent us a mini-tree and advent calendars (yes, the chocolate ones of course!). We have a lot to do!
How are your holiday activities going?
today's workout -
45 minutes/5mile elliptical
3x10 weighted side bends