Saturday, November 20, 2010

A Morning at the Market

I started the morning with another great 5 mile run. Starting next weekend I'm bumping up one of my weekend runs to 6 miles. I know for some that 6 miles isn't much at all, and I have done a few of them during my 'come back,' but I'm on still working on increasing my mileage in a thoughtful and smart way. I'm feeling great right now and I don't want to risk another injury!

After I finished my run I stopped at the Andaz Market like every week for apples and pears. The Andaz Wall Street, a hotel, started a Saturday farmer's market last summer and it's only a few blocks from our apartment! It's a small affair, but has the fruit and veggies we like. Unfortunately I found out that today was the last market of the season.

Goodbye market! See you in the Spring!

After showering and eating, I headed to the Union Square Farmer's Market to pick up more produce for the coming week - the office Thanksgiving potluck and our Thanksgiving dinner with friends on Thursday. Plus, the usual stuff. I was a bit shocked by how empty the subway station was but it was definitely busy in the market! Plus, the annual holiday market opened yesterday, making it even more crowded than usual!


The market was full of great looking produce, baked goods, plants, meats, cheeses, and a cooking demo!




I left with lots of goodies and was happy to support local farmers. Even if one place has a lot of what we need, I'll only get a few things and then get the others from other stands, to spread the love! We're really lucky here in NYC to have so many great markets!

I hope you're having a great weekend!
************
today's workout -
5 mile run
stretching

3 comments:

Julie D. said...

I love farmer's markets...sad to see them go for the season!

Unknown said...

Those markets look fabulous! We lose ours in a couple weeks. It's a great thing to look forward to for next year :)

Fifty K said...

I have lots of farmers markets in the summer and fall but not much come winter. Enjoy!