1. I am a bit embarassed and a little ashamed to admit this, but I haven't run since Sunday. I didn't run Monday or Tuesday because I had a bit a pain in my right leg. It started as a knot in my calf that was a slight annoyance last week but after our run Sunday I was in a bit of pain when I walked. Woody even noticed me limping a bit on our way back to the subway from watching the marathon. I used heat and my new trigger wheel to try and work it out but it still bothered me for a few days. Wednesday was a bit better but I was apprehensive about running in the coldness/darkness. I don't know why, but I did realize that last year I never actually had the opportunity to do that. I was out of running for months after I injured myself in the marathon and then by the time I was able to run again, it wasn't quite so dark in the morning anymore (yes, I was out of running for that long). I just need to face my 'fear' and get out there and do it! I feel so much better after a run than after going to the gym. I will run tomorrow and Sunday. And
2. There was an interesting article in the New York Times earlier this week that you can read HERE. Michael Moss delves further into the conflicting responsibilities of the USDA: the original intent of supporting and promoting US agricultural products vs the newer task of promoting nutrition and healthy diets. As Michael Pollan and others have pointed out, these two definitely do not go hand in hand. This article focuses on Dairy Management (a division of the USDA) and the product development and marketing campaigns they have worked on to get us to eat more cheese and other dairy products while the Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion encourages people to eat less saturated fats. It's quite enlightening.
3. I get to spend Sunday afternoon at the Chocolate Show helping out at the Peanut Butter & Co booth! I've done this two years before, but last year the show was the same weekend as the NYC Marathon, so it was a no go for me. I love doing this because it's completely different from my normal day, I get to have fun with cool people who enjoy what they're doing, give out tons of free samples and turn people on to some great peanut butter! I also get to hang out with a guy in a monkey mascot costume and try a LOT of chocolate!
4. Speaking of food, last Saturday Woody and I went to a restaurant we've wanted to try for a while: the Meatball Shop on the Lower East Side. My pics are pretty fuzzy and they definitely don't do the food justice (I need a new camera!), but here you go.
I had the veggie meatballs (I know, it's a contradiction but I don't care cause they were delicious) with tomato sauce and we shared steamed spinach and polenta. It was incredible! Woody had a lamb meatball hero with the tomato sauce, which he really enjoyed as well. The place is super cute but pretty small. We had an early dinner and I definitely recommend that as the time to go; the line was really long when we left and they don't take reservations.
5. I've written about healthy food options in vending machines before. Last night, Running Diva Mom posted about them HERE. She wrote about a cool type of machine - the h.u.m.a.n. healthy vending machine - that stocks healthy snacks and drinks and can be placed in schools and other public places. They even feature snacks for people with particular allergies and a portion of proceeds go to charitable causes. Pretty cool if you ask me!
Don't forget about my 'Fit for a Runner' giveaway! Enter HERE.
What are you doing this weekend?
today's workout -
3x10 bicep curls
lots of stretching