Yes, it's true, this week my mind has been filled with thoughts of vacation: sleeping in late, lazy mornings on the porch, kayaking around the lake, soaking in some sun, reading for hours... no car horns or dirty air.
With vacation at the cottage comes a week without the gym. This means it will be more difficult for me to keep a high level of activity since my foot is still keeping me from running. Add that to the fact that we will indulge in s'mores by the fire pit at least once, we're planning to eat out a few times, and two of our very favorite ice cream spots are in Northern Michigan, means that I'm going to have to be a bit creative to make sure the only extra pounds I bring back are in my suitcase!
Here are a few tactics I have in mind:
- hike the sand dunes at Sleepy Bear National Lake Shore
- kayak around the lake at least once per day, on the other days
- go for a walk in the woods all the other days
- take resistance bands to use and do 20 minutes of yoga poses a few times during the week
- stretch each day to stay loose
- keep only healthy snacks like fruit and veggies on hand rather than 'treats' just because we're 'on vacation'
- pay attention to portion sizes and don't overdue it
Since we don't get to enjoy some of our favorite Michigan foods very often anymore, we'll definitely take advantage of the opportunity while we're there, but we'll also cook healthy meals back at the cottage!
Hopefully a combination of moderate activity and rest will do my foot some good!
What are some of your go-to travel tactics to enjoy vacation while not letting your usual healthy lifestyle go?
By this time tomorrow, we'll be on our way to Michigan, but be sure to stop by for the weekly edition of "5 for Friday!"
18.5 mi bike
3x12 upright row
3x12 front straight arm raise
3x10 weighted side bends
3x10 tricep dips
2x30sec planks on a stability ball
2x30sec full locust pose
foam roller and stretching