On to this week's 5 for Friday:
- The Big Apple BBQ Festival in Madison Square Park is next weekend (June 12, 13)! There will be music, seminars, and lots of fantastic food from all over the country (including the amazing Salt Lick in Driftwood, TX)! If you're here, please go and enjoy some pulled pork for me!
- Now that the weather is warm and the flowers are blooming, chances are, if you have a house, your lawn is growing too. Instead of thinking about mowing the lawn as a chore that just takes up your precious running time, think of it as cross training! According to caloriecount.com, one hour of mowing the lawn with a push mower burns 408 calories!
- Have you heard California is on the verge of passing a bill that will ban one-time-use plastic bags at grocery stores, pharmacies, local markets, convenience stores and more? Shoppers will either have to bring their own reusable bags or pay a fee for a paper bag made of recycled material. Apparently, Californians use over 19million plastic bags a year and only recycle a tiny fraction of them. Several Californian towns already have bans in place (perhaps you heard about San Fran) and this will bill will put in place a statewide legislation. Personally, I think this is fantastic and I hope other States follow suit!
- The summer season of Burn Notice has started! Woody and I are addicted to this show. Jeffrey Donovan, who plays the lead role, Michael Weston, does all of the stunts himself. He has a Black Belt in Karate, and has studied Aikido and Brazilian jiu-jitsu. He must spend a lot of time working out.
- I saw this doormat in the Weight Watchers Magazine the other day and fell in love! Perfect for any runner or fitness enthusiast, so I just had to share it with you! You can get it on Amazon.com