Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Holidays Snuck Up On Me

Question for you. How is it possible that we are only 5 days from Thanksgiving? This year has flown by and it’s really starting to freak me out a little. The holiday lights are popping up all over the city. I’ve heard people say that they years go by faster as you age. I’m starting to realize that the saying is true.

happy holidays

The holidays are a crazy time. We’re all rushed to get ‘things’ done. Things like gift shopping, gift wrapping, cookie baking, turkey roasting, going to parties, holiday card sending, traveling. I feel like we’re often so busy that we sometimes forget to stop and think about why we’re actually doing all these ‘things.’ And we get caught up in the hustle and bustle and we forget to take care of ourselves. We forget (or just can’t find time) to workout, to eat right, to sleep.

This year, with things so busy at work it will be easy for me to get lost in the craziness. While Woody and I don’t have any kids, which undoubtedly add an entire other level of craziness to the holidays, I just want us to be able to enjoy the season and not let it pass us by.So I decided I need to set some (easy) goals to make sure I take time to enjoy the season. Here’s what I have in mind:

  • Workout 6 mornings a week (this keeps me feeling strong and healthy)
  • Focus on eating healthy (see above)
    • Save the holiday treats for special events, not just because there are cookies in the office kitchen
    • Plan out meals at the start of the week – easy but healthy options
  • Before December, schedule at least one day off of work before Christmas to use my last personal day (mental health day and time for holiday shopping so I don’t cram it all into the weekends)
  • Do everything in my power to leave work at a normal time (ie before 7pm)
  • Go to Rockefeller Center with Woody to see the Christmas Tree (NYC holiday tradition)
  • Take a walk in Central Park (Calming way to enjoy the city)
  • Send holiday cards & take time to read all the ones we get then respond to the senders (an attempt to stay connected)

Okay, so this looks like a lot but I think it’s doable.

I have a race tomorrow morning. Should be interesting since I haven’t raced since the 5th Ave Mile on Sept 22nd and I’ve hardly run since then. My run last Sunday was pretty good though, so hopefully tomorrow will be too. The other reason why I think it’ll be interesting is because this is the first race weekend for NYRR since the marathon was cancelled. Check back for my race report to find out if make it to the finish line!

  • How is your holiday season looking? Crazy busy or smooth sailing?
  • What are your tips for making it through the holidays without stressing out?
  • Do you ever reach out to people after getting a holiday card?
  • What is your favorite activity to do during the holiday season to soak in the spirit?

************

Today’s workout -

  • 65min elliptical
  • 3x12 seated row
  • 3x12 weighted side bend
  • 3x10 leg lifts
  • 3x15 bridges
  • 3x10 lat pulldown
  • ab exercises
  • 2x50 sec plank
  • stretching

2 comments:

CarliAlice said...

I don't let the holidays get to me. We stopped spending money on gifts several years ago. Since I do all the cooking and host the parties it seemed like a fair trade off.


My tip is not to let it get to you. Learn when to say no. Don't spend more than your budget will allow. It'll stress you out more.


I bet Rockefeller Center is real pretty during the holidays. When I see it on movies it makes me want to go see.

Lisa A. said...

Sounds like a great trade off! That's a lot of work to do all the cooking and hosting. I hope you enjoy it!


Rockefeller is beautiful - especially at night!