Monday, September 24, 2012

I Can Run a Mile–Race Report: 5th Ave Mile

Public transportation in NYC being what it is, I ended up getting to the start line for the NYRR 5th Ave Mile well over an hour early. You just never know when a train is going to show up at your subway station early on a Saturday morning.

This is such a unique race because we go off in heats – wheelchair, women 15-29, men 15-29, women 30-39, men 30-39, etc. There are 15 minutes between each heat but once one goes, everyone in the next rushes into the chute to get a good spot. I’m not sure why, but there is a big ‘wall’ placed in the chute so about half the field for each heat is standing behind the wall. It’s a strange set-up which I haven’t been able to figure out, but I guess it doesn’t really matter all that much since your time doesn’t start till you go over the start line.

I was in the second women’s heat but I found Oiselle teammate, Robin, in the chute just before she went off and got an awesome 9th place! I warmed up a bunch and was sure to stretch a lot. I had done my usual stretching and green tea routine at home before I left, that was a good 2 hours before I lined up.

I found a spot fairly close to the start line. Too close, actually. Even though I kept telling myself it’s better (for me) to start conservatively and then ramp it up as I went along, that didn’t happen. I went out way too fast. Just a quarter mile in I was feeling a bit more taxed than I should at that point so I let up a bit. Although the quarter mile marks were coming up faster than I was expecting. True, I was getting to the half mile about the time the winner was crossing the finish line, but I’m not fast so I wasn’t expecting any crazy time.

I actually crossed the finish line in 7:33. A 19second PR. I’ll take it!

5th Ave Mile '12

I love this race because it’s one where you get your bib number according to your last name, rather than how fast you are. This means I end up with a super low number – 171 this time!

Grace ran a really awesome race too, and then she went out and ran another 12 miles!

After the race Grace and I headed over to a nearby restaurant to meet up with Kate Grace and Robin. It was fun to meet some more Oiselle team members for a little running talk! A couple hours after this picture was taken, Kate Grace won the NYRR 4:42:8! It was also her first road race. Pretty awesome. These are some speedy ladies!

Oiselle Meet-Up

Overall it was a pretty fantastic weekend and now I’m off to start what will be a very busy week at work.

  • Once a race starts, do you stick with your plan or go off to fast?

Well, apparently this time I didn’t stick with it.

  • What was the highlight of your weekend?

Aside from doing the laundry and a bit of work, it was a pretty fantastic weekend all around. Oh, finally watching a few episodes of Downton Abbey. Why did I wait so long?

  • What are you looking forward to this week?

Wishing my Mom a very happy Birthday tomorrow.

************

Today’s workout -

  • 40min elliptical
  • 3x10 tricep kickback
  • 3x10 bent row
  • 3x10 hammer curl
  • 3x10 bicep curl
  • ab exercises
  • stretching

2 comments:

Amanda Loudin said...

I am in awe of that 4:42! Wow--go Oiselle ladies! Congrats on your PR! That has to feel good. Sounds like a really fun weekend!

CarliAlice said...

Sounds like a really good race. I have to admit your title really drew me in. I can't run a mile, certainly not that fast either. I'm keeping this in my goals folder. Keep up the good work!