Friday, November 20, 2009

The Rain Gives Way to Sun & Oprah Is Turning Off The Cameras?

Hopefully this is a good omen. It has been raining since yesterday afternoon, a thunderstorm during the night, but now the sky is clearing and the sun is coming out. That is exactly what I need this morning because I am exhausted! Yesterday was a very long day. I would say it was a successfully day, but definitely a long one. Thank goodness it is Friday!

My mind is moving a little slowly as I wake up (even though I've been up since 5am). The big news of the day, for many, many women and publicists, is that the rumors are turning out to be true and Oprah will end her groundbreaking talk show in 2011, after 25 seasons. I like Oprah, but I'm not an avid fan of hers. Nothing against her, I actually have great respect for her, what she's done, and all the people she has helped and enlightened over the years, but maybe I've just been too busy to watch her show. No one can deny her incredible power in elevating people's (actors, musicians, authors, etc) careers higher than they may have ever thought possible. Getting a spot on Oprah's couch (or a 'pick' on her "Favorite Things" episode) is probably the most sought out seat in all of the entertainment industry. Heck, even for politicians and non-profit advocates! Now, it's even going to be worse as there is a finite number of seats left.

Women and men who listen to Oprah's every word might be feeling a bit lost this morning. What are they going to do in 2 years when they don't have her to turn to each day? It is a bit like losing a friend. Isn't that a bit odd? She is a TV personality. Word has it she is going to focus on her new cable network, OWN. Word on the street is also that she's not going to move her show there (which was the rumor going around). The Oprah Winfrey Show might not be on TV every day, but I think we can all predict that she is not going anywhere. She is still going to have quite a strong influence on pop culture. She has done a lot for communities in need, to promote health, well being, education, a strong future for America. Just because the show is ending (two years from now) does not mean she will stop doing any of that, I have a feeling she'll just be doing it in a different way. I'm very curious to see what OWN will be like - the programming and the website. There are so many possibilities it will be very interesting.

You know, I just thought of something while writing this. Oprah has it pretty good right now. She's worked extremely hard to get to where she is, she's been on TV for 25 years, has an extremely successful show and brand. She is taking a HUGE leap of faith leaving the comfort of her couch and moving in this new direction. So many of us need to take a leap of faith, but might be too afraid to jump. Maybe this is another lesson she is teaching us.

Okay, time for me to get to work. Have a GREAT Friday everyone!!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow. This is the first I've heard of this. I don't watch Oprah now because I'm always at work, but I do love her and have watched my share in the past. And I think you are right, this is kind of like losing a friend or someone you've come to depend on to be there. That's kind of sad, and a little bit sick. I think.

Stopping by from SITS

Christina Lee said...

It is a little like losing a friend--but good for her-she'll go out on top!

Jenn said...

Wow, no more Oprah! I haven't watched her in a few years but at least I know she's on at 3 if I want to!

Unknown said...

Wow, I had no idea Oprah was ending her show. I don't watch it, but I know it's been the staple of talk shows.

So you were in the Spartan Band? What years? Citrus Bowl (Capital One Bowl) Jan. 1 2000... Florida vs. Michigan State. You guys kicked our butts! I remember hanging out with some Spartan band members before the game. Super friendly people! Oh and yes, band geeks make very good runners! :-)

Anonymous said...

After twenty-five years, it's nice that she is ending her show on her own terms rather than seeing the show just fizzle out. I agree...Oprah is certainly not going to disappear anywhere!