Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Biggest Loser Recap (no spoiler)

I am a HUGE fan of The Biggest Loser. I think it’s a fantastic show that can teach people of all ages and sizes that they have the ability to lose weight, improve their health and live a long, full life if they put their heart, mind, and soul into it. I think it’s a great show for everyone to learn healthy eating and exercise tips. Now, I don’t agree with everything about the show (like locking up the kitchen this week and making the contestants order out for every meal), sometimes Jillian’s harsh tactics may annoy me and the contestants who don’t seem to care or don’t seem to take advantage of their situation frustrate me, but it can also be inspiring.

A few things that stood out to me last night:

Julio confessed to Jillian that “food is my drug of choice.” I think this can ring true for so many people. Food can be comforting and easy. Instead of alcohol or cigarettes or drugs, some people turn to food and become addicted to the feeling they get from it even though they know it isn’t good for them to have that type relationship with food. For a lot of people, an ‘ah ha’ moment is necessary to break out the comfort zone and make the changes necessary to get on a healthy track.

Kitchen Lock Down – eating out is definitely one of the toughest things that a person watching their weight or just trying to eat healthfully can face. One never knows what is actually in the meal they are eating when someone else is cooking it and you can’t be in the kitchen watching as it is prepared. I recently had a conversation with a friend about this. You don’t know where the food came from or how butter or oil or salt is being used. You just have to be able to make the best decisions you can and not be afraid to ask for special preparations or to send it back if it arrives differently from how you asked. It’s your taste buds, your heart, and your waistline.

I do particularly love one piece of advice Bob gave – before you go out to eat, go on the restaurant’s website and figure out what you are going to order. This way you can study the menu and a wise, unrushed decision and won’t be pressured by the people you’re with or your surroundings. I do this ALL the time. If the restaurant doesn’t have a website with their menu, I can often find it on Menu Pages. I especially do this whenever I go to a new restaurant with friends, family or co-workers. It definitely relieves the pressure for me when I sit down at the table. I already know what I’m going to get and I can enjoy the company of the people I’m with. I highly recommend this strategy.

Have you noticed how often they plug their branded products now? The Biggest Loser Simple Swaps book? The Complete Calorie Counter book? The protein shakes…. Still love the show, but it’s almost a 2 hour infomercial for their products. Did you catch the ‘commercial’ for Fitness Ridge, Biggest Loser’s fitness resort? Now that’s an interesting and smart brand extension.

Is it just me, or do the contestants seem much more supportive this season? As the weeks continue, a little bit of game playing is definitely showing (Tracy last week) but there isn’t the snarkiness and obvious competition as in past seasons. It’s nice to see them all encouraging each other. Weather someone is on TBL or at home, they need support when they are trying to lose weight not people trying to make it harder on them.

My favorite part of the show is the end when they show how the kicked off contestant is doing. It's great to see how they've changed their life and sometimes, the lives of those people around them. To see people healthy and happy. That's a great way to end the night.

2 comments:

Toni said...

I love TBL but I always DVR the show then watch it so I can skip all of the comercials. I love that the contestants are so supportive and I hope it doesn't change as the weeks go on.

Julie said...

the end is totally my favorite part too. it's the only reality/competition show i watch and i often watch it from the treadmill. it really is inspirational!