Friday, September 25, 2009

Under The Weather

Today is my mother’s Birthday. She is one of the most amazing people I know. She has always done everything she could for me and I know she always will. Not only is she my mom, but she is my friend and an inspiration. I probably don’t say it often enough, but I love her and appreciate everything she does for me, her family and friends. I hope she has a wonderful Birthday and a great time up north this weekend!

*****

I stayed home sick today. I have a pretty nasty head cold that started with a sore throat on Wednesday. After feeling pretty lousy at work yesterday, I decided the best thing for me (and my colleagues) would be to stay home today, sleep in and rest so I could kick this thing quickly and get back out on the road and to work. I was supposed to run 5 miles today, but that didn’t happen. Yesterday I only got in 4 miles before I had to quit. It was, and is, disappointing. Sunday is supposed to be my second 20 miler, although I’ve signed up for the NYRR 18 Miler Tune-Up. I HOPE that I can get through volunteering for Step Up’s fundraiser tomorrow and feel well enough to run Sunday. I am SO nervous that I won’t be able to run. It’ll be a huge setback for me and I don’t want to face it. Trying to come up with a solution, if I have to miss the run I think I’ll do it on Monday morning before work. Yeah, that means I’ll get in a little late to work, but I think it will be okay if I start at 5:30am. Oh, I hope it doesn’t come to that.


My diet today hasn’t consisted of much. For the most part, when I’m sick, I lose my appetite. Fruit is the best thing to eat when you’re sick. It’s clean, fresh, healthy, and doesn’t weigh you down. I’ve had an apple, tangelo, a Cold Buster Jamba Juice smoothie and half a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for a little protein. Have you ever noticed how many people drink the HUGE Jamba Juice smoothies? It’s pretty incredible how many calories they’re consuming. Yeah, there’s fruit in there, but so many of their smoothies have juices, dairy, sorbet, frozen yogurt…. Someone can consume enough calories for two meals with one smoothie! And then, some people even eat them WITH a meal. Wow. But, if you check out the nutritional facts, what is really going into the smoothie, and keep to the 12 oz version, you’ll probably do pretty well there. I think today was the 2nd time I’ve ever had a smoothie from Jamba Juice. I hope it helps bust my cold!! I still plan to have an apple, tangelo, and pomegranate seeds today. Yum. I really hope I can get rid of this cold quickly. It's such a beautiful fall day today, so it's especially hard to be sick when the sun is shining so bright!


*****


If you haven’t seen this yet, I encourage you to check out the current issue of Newsweek or Newsweek.com. They spent quite a long time ranking the biggest 500 companies according to how ‘Green’ they are. The ability for a company to be Green definitely depends on the industry they are in – some inherently have an easier time turning Green than others – so they’ve taken many factors into account. I definitely think it’s a good idea to pay attention to how environmentally conscious a company is when you are purchasing their product, so this is another good resource. A few of their rankings and/or reasoning seem a bit off to me, but it still provides some interesting information and insight. I definitely recommend that you check this out when you have time.


Do something fun and healthy with your friends and family! Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Toni said...

Hope you feel better soon!

Barbara said...

Thank you , but I'm not sure I deserve all that.