Sunday, February 28, 2016

Easy and Delicious (Vegan) Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie

After a long and exhausting week I slept in a bit and headed out for my run a bit later than usual Saturday morning. Matt was still out of town on a work trip so I had the morning to myself. I decided to run Cheesman and Washington Parks and thought it would be about 6.5 miles, but I ended up with another eight. It was also a warm morning - hitting the low 60's - so all that was on my mind the last 2 miles was how delicious a cold smoothie would be when I got home.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie
When we switched to a vegan diet I was worried that my smoothies would suffer because I had always used Greek yogurt and was convinced that without it, they'd just be icey slush. Thankfully, I was wrong. All they need - in my opinion - is frozen banana and almond milk. (tip: cut the banana into pieces, and freeze in an air tight glass container lined with parchment or wax paper so the banana doesn't freeze to the glass)

Low on supplies I was still able to put together one perfectly delicious and satisfying smoothie in a quick minute. Often my smoothies include a long, but healthy, list of ingredients; this has just six:

  • 1 small banana (frozen)
  • A handful of frozen mango chunks
  • 1 tbs all natural smooth peanut butter
  • 1 scoop Vega chocolate protein & greens powder
  • 3/4 cup almond milk
  • 3/4 cup cold water or coconut water (add more as needed for desired consistency)
Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie

Packed with nutrients and protein to help muscles recover after a tough workout, it tasted just like a big, cold peanut butter cup. What's not to love about that?

What do you crave during a long run on a hot day? * Have you had a great workout success lately? Share it with us!

No comments: