Monday, September 2, 2013

A Weekend Success Story

Wow, okay is it just me or did this weekend go by really quickly? Personally it was a nice balance of busy and relaxing; productive and lazy, but I wish I had another day (or two) before I have to get back to the whole commuting thing. But I guess that’s how it always is after a long weekend! I hope you enjoyed yours!

One thing I accomplished this weekend has been on my to-do list since we decided to move to Denver! It’s a little known fact, but one I’m not ashamed to admit, that I haven’t been on a bike (one that actually moves forward) in probably close to two decades. I can’t recall the last time I rode a bike, but I’m pretty sure I gave it up in middle school.

Denver B-Cycle

Bikes are very prominent in Denver and Boulder. I wouldn’t go so far to say that they are super-bike friendly as I’ve felt/seen/heard of a certain level of animosity between drivers and bike riders. This seems incredibly odd to me though because so many people are on bikes! Nevertheless, one goal I had in moving to Denver was to start riding a bike again! I could close my eyes and see myself gliding down the bike trail with a basket full of farmers market goodies and a huge grin on my face on a crisp Colorado fall day!

I can officially say I am two steps closer to that dream! First, as you may have read last week, Woody and I went helmet shopping at REI and purchased helmets after trying on quite a few. Safety first!

Then today, we rented Denver B-Cycle bikes from a stand near our apartment. It was downtown but on a quiet street so we spent the first 15-20 minutes just riding down the sidewalk, practicing turns and stopping. Yes, I needed to practice all this. Remember, I hadn’t been on a bike in nearly TWO DECADES! I think Woody was just about as nervous as I was about me riding a bike.

Matt on the Bike

Finally I got up the courage to hit the streets and we rode around downtown Denver for a while. Thankfully it was pretty quiet given the holiday so we didn’t have to contend with a ton of people and cars. I can report with absolute truth that I did not once fall off the bike, run into anything or anyone or even have any near incidents! I may take out the B-Cycle once more though before I invest in a bike of my own. But I’m getting closer to realizing a dream!

Success!

Proof we rode somewhere!

I'm riding a bike!

It's really happening!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What were the highlights of your Labor Day Weekend? * Do you ride a bike? Did you ever take a hiatus from riding? If so, why? * What are you looking forward to this fall?

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I think it's great that Denver has the bike's to rent, how fun and a great way to get back in the "saddle" so to speak. :)

Lisa said...

That's fun you can just rent a bike. Nowhere near us does that, that I'm aware of. I tried to get back into it, but whenever I ride my butt feels bruised for days afterwards! I used to ride everywhere as a kid, but I'm not equipped for it anymore I guess. LOL

Lisa said...

My husband and I rented bikes like those on a recent trip to DC and rode around the National Mall and other places nearby. So much fun!