Sunday, August 18, 2013

How to Deal with an Epic Failure of a Run

Saturday morning I was ready for a great run. I got up early to run before it got too hot, I had a good night’s sleep, my legs were feeling ready to go even though I had done some tough circuit training the morning before. I was ready. Then I got out there and started running.

Before I had event gone a half mile I knew it was going to be a tough one. I was still feeling good physically – for the most part – but I couldn’t breathe. Since my surgery a few years ago I’ve dealt with sinus issues and it can make breathing, while I’m running, really difficult at times. The worst part about it is that I have no control over it and I have no idea when I’m going to have a good day or a crappy day. I had started out on the same route we ran last week, which was a great run for me. We had joined the bRUNch group for a 5k and brunch at a local restaurant. I pushed a little harder than usual and felt great afterwards. This week was a totally different story. I struggled at every turn and had to admit defeat before I hit 5k. It sucked. I felt like I was waiting a good run.

Thankfully though, because I had gotten up early to run, I had time to save the workout a little and try something different. I wasn’t going to let this lousy run ruin my day.

20130817_085615

I went to the pool. The pool is typically packed but I was there right when it opened and had it to myself. My run was miserable and I know I’ll have more like that in the future, but I couldn’t let it dictate the rest of my day.

Then today we left the running trail and the gym behind and went for our first hike since moving to Denver! Jess, a Oiselle teammate of mine who lives in the area and I just met last week, recommended Roxborough State Park south of Denver so we headed there. The Carpenters Peak trail took us about 3hrs total – with a stop at the top to enjoy the view – and nearly 6.5 miles. It was hot and sunny and fantastic.

IMG_3092

20130818_103353

20130818_112411

IMG_3099

So, even though my run was an epic fail, I kind of got over it with a good swim and a great hike. Running is amazing but sometimes it’s miserable. Now I’m looking forward to my next run.

How do you get over tough runs? * What’s your favorite non-running workout? * How are you enjoying the last few weeks of summer?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

gorgeous pics!!!

Lisa said...

Tough runs suck but I tell myself they make me stronger/better than the good ones.


Favorite non-running workout? Something tough like bootcamp, or cross fit? I'm a sucker for torture.


last few weeks of summer? What summer? I've yet to enjoy it!