Monday, April 29, 2013

A Refreshing Green Smoothie for Beginners

With a few warm days over the weekend, we had a nice taste of Spring. It’s chilly and rainy today, but I have hope the warmth and sun will be back soon! I usually have the same thing for breakfast Monday – Friday, but on the weekend I mix it up a bit after our longer workouts to make sure I refuel properly. On Sunday, I decided to try something different for me – a Green Smoothie.

Green Smoothie Recipe

Because I’ve never made one before myself, I decided to keep it simple:

  • 1/2 cup 0% Plain Greek Yogurt
  • 1/4 cup Skim Milk
  • 1/4 cup Water
  • 1 cup Spinach
  • 1/2 cup Frozen Mango
  • 3/4 Frozen Banana
  • 1 tbs Chopped Almonds
  • 1/2 tsp Cinnamon

We have just a regular blender and it took a bit of blending to really mix in the spinach, but it was really easy and turned out great! The spinach wasn’t overpowering, which is what I was going for. Woody was a bit skeptical and wouldn’t give it a try, but it’s his loss! It kept me satisfied and as a bonus, it was great knowing that I had already eaten a serving of veggies as I went through the day!

Next time I’m going to add ground flaxseed (I didn’t have any in the pantry on Sunday) too boost the nutrient content even more. This is a healthy and delicious option for a post-workout meal, or on a morning when you want something light. I have a feeling it will be a good choice after a hard workout on a hot day; refreshing and easy on the stomach! This recipe will have a recurring role in my breakfast line-up!

Green Smoothie Recipe

If you make green smoothies, what are you favorite ingredients? Do you change your workout routine on the weekend?

7 comments:

Lisa said...

I LOVE green smoothies! I like to use kale, too, in place of or in addition to spinach. I have also tried cilantro and a little lime juice. I use whatever we have extra of when I make mine and with a family of five, there is usually plenty to choose from. Usually my staples are yogurt, green leaves, water, milk or fruit juice, and combination of an apple, banana, and frozen berries of some kind. I find it's a great way quickly to use up anything that's close to 'going bad'. I always have frozen blueberries, strawberries, and peaches in the freezer to add if needed. We always have ground flaxseed on hand, too, and will frequently add it. A friend of mine always adds coconut oil to her green smoothies. Too expensive for me since we'd go through it so fast as a family so I haven't tried that. Oh, an last summer, I would sometimes add a mint leaf or two from the backyard. That would spritz up the taste, too!

Lisa said...

Love the idea of adding fresh mint. That would be fantastic! Thanks for providing all these great mixers!

Lisa said...

I love green smoothies. My favorites are: vanilla protein powder, water, ice, spinach, & a banana. If I want extra protein, I add peanut butter. I've never tried adding mango, but that sounds great!

Lisa said...

I use kale in mine and don't taste it. And I always put flax seed in my smoothies.

Lisa said...

Great idea! I love kale and definitely want to try it in a smoothie, too!

Lisa said...

I thought about adding PB but did the almonds instead. Good to know that works as well! But, PB works pretty much all the time! ;)

Lisa said...

My favorite green smoothie i call "almond green" uses frozen spinach since it is flash steamed and your body absorbs all the nutrients much better than raw spinach. I also use frozen blueberries (organic 365 brand at whole foods is a good price), i usually add a vanilla vegan protein powder, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, one date, chia seeds, and a glob of almond butter (key ingredient!) so. So. So. Good. The frozen spinach and blueberries make it icy and the nut butter helps yor body absorb all the fat soluable vitamins. Keeps me full for hours!