Monday, December 3, 2012

Running. What I Haven’t Been Doing.

If you’ve been reading my blog much this year, even though I haven’t posted very often you’ve probably gotten the idea that I haven’t been running much. All year.

You might remember that last year I had two stress fractures. One in my left femur during the Spring when I was training for the Broad Street Run which I was supposed to run over my Birthday weekend during a trip to Philadelphia. We cancelled the trip.

In the Fall I fractured my left femur again while I was running the Detroit Half Marathon. Different spot but worse this time. I knew immediately that something was wrong and ran limping across the finish line. I called my Sports Doc’s answering service from Detroit Metro Airport to schedule an appointment for the next day and was on crutches as soon as we got back to our apartment.

My goal for this year was to get through the year without any stress fractures. I needed to fully heal before running again, then limit my running and focus on strengthening my bones. Unfortunately, no matter how many times I wish for it, it’s not that easy to strengthen bones. I can take calcium and vitamin D but until I get my annual bone scan, it’s not possible to know if there’s any progress. It’s incredibly frustrating. I just have to hope that my diet and supplements are working.

I’ve only run five races this year. The only year I’ve run less than five races since I started running 6 years ago was last year. I’ve gone weeks without running. When I first realized I had to cut back dramatically on running I was incredibly frustrated and sad. I’m sure you understand. When you’re dealing with an injury it’s hard to stop running. Your mind and body want to be out there running. Moving. Working up a sweat and pushing yourself. Let’s just say there were a few tears.

I hate to admit though, over the past months I’ve gotten used to not running. I’ve gotten a bit lazy. I spend a lot of time at the gym but I haven’t been pushing as hard as I probably should because I’ve been afraid. I just want to get through a calendar year without a stress fracture.

This is where I’ve been working up a sweat this year.

WP_000555

Yeah, not too exciting.

Now that I’m almost there, I don’t want to jinx it, and of course, my goal will only move further out. But next year I’m hoping to get out there, run more and get back to my old running shape. Or at least closer to it. It’s something I love and I want back in my life. I have a feeling it’ll take a bit of time to get back into the groove and choose the cold over the warmth and easy nature of the gym, but I have confidence it’ll come back.

On a happier note, after going to the gym and doing laundry Sunday morning Woody and I spent the afternoon traipsing around town Christmas shopping and checking out different holiday fairs. This is from Bryant Park. (I think we have around 100 pictures of us that we’ve taken. Apologies for the close-up.)

WP_000571

WP_000565WP_000569

 

  • Have you ever had to take a year, or several months and dial-down your running to get healthy again? How did you get back into a routine?
  • How did you spend your weekend?
  • Who raced this weekend?
  • It was 50’ when we left for the gym at 5 this morning. Is it weirdly warm where you are too?

************

Today’s workout -

  • 40min elliptical
  • 3x10 weighted side bends
  • 3x12 upright row
  • 3x12 bicep push-down
  • 3x12 hammer curls
  • ab exercises
  • stretching

3 comments:

Abby said...

Girl, I hear ya. I haven't been doing much running this year either. I did 2 ten mile races in the spring and nothing since. I also kinda like it. I've picked up yoga and strength training and I've noticed that both have helped my running. I think it's natural to take some time off from racing, as that will just make you more excited to train for a future race. (By the way, I'm jealous of your holiday pictures in NYC...I miss the East Coast!)

CarliAlice said...

Nope, never had to take a year off. I had to have chest surgery which required me to take six weeks off and I still don't think I've gotten back into the groove of lifting. As far as running, I don't do as much as you (100% or not). :)

Shopping at Goodwill!

And yes, it is soooo warm it's crazy!

Katherine Allen said...

Cute pictures! Looks like a great workout :)

http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com/