Monday, May 21, 2012

So, I Ran a Race Yesterday

When I was able to steal a few moments at work on Friday to check my personal email I saw an NYCRuns newsletter had arrived. For a while now I’ve been thinking about what races might be ahead for me. I’ve registered for the Portugal Day race on June 17th and the Running Bear 5K on July 24th, but I’ve been hoping to add another in before to get my feet wet. So, when I saw the blurb about the NYPD Memorial 5K Run that was happening Sunday in my neighborhood, I knew I had to try!

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to register until race morning, and I have to admit I was a little nervous and almost backed out, but I put on my Oiselle singlet, got to the school in Batter Park City at 7:30am, registered then headed to the gym with my number tucked in my bag. The race didn’t start until 10:13am, so I had some time to spare. I did a light workout and the gym, made plans with Woody about where we’d meet after the race and got back to Battery Park City with plenty of time. Before the race, we gathered in the South Cove along the Hudson River where there was a prayer and remarks by Commissioner Ray Kelly. The race was to honor all the NYPD officers who have died in the line of duty, so there were a lot of police officers, NYPD families and friends and a lot of emotion. We moved out onto the West Side Highway and the race began at 10:13am after an NYPD officer had sung the national anthem in the shadows of One World Trade Center. Nothing like a heart wrenching start, right?

Let me back up a minute. The 5K was a run/walk. On my way to the start I realized that not only were many people walking, but there were some with strollers and dogs. Not wanting to get caught in the back, I jumped behind two guys making a b-line through the crowd and got near the front!

After the gun went off, I realized pretty quick I was going a little faster than I wanted to. It was so hard not to get caught up in the excitement, but I slowed down and didn’t mind all the kids passing me. While there was some good shade at the start as soon as we were north of Tribeca we were in full sun. Given that it was after 10am, it was pretty hot already, I think around 70 or so! This was by far the warmest weather I’ve run in for many, many months. The course was out and back. We left Liberty Street ran to just shy of 14th, turned around and finished at Chambers. I always love cheering the runners on who are going the opposite way, but I didn’t do much cheering as I was just trying to focus on running my first race in over 7 months.

I saw Woody just before the finish line and threw him a smile for the camera (there’s one of the fast little kids right behind me!). The finishing chute was pretty narrow and I almost ran over some guy, but it was awesome to hear them call my name!

NYPD Memorial Run 5.20 (2)

While this was not my best race (28:53:91), I am still really proud of myself for getting out there again and now I have a starting point. My next 5K in July will be better and I’ll be stronger.

The post-race was awesome. A BBQ with sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, sides, pretzels, chips and TONS of fruit! I went back for seconds on the oranges – they were delicious!

NYPD Memorial Run 5.20 (4)

While I think they could have used some volunteers in the South Cove a bit earlier, I thought the race was really well organized. The race started on time, volunteers along the course and at the finish, they had times posted really quickly, and everyone seemed to have a great time! Plus, how can you not love a race with a BBQ at the finish line!? Perhaps the fact that the NYPD Running Club hosted the race and I imagine they’re pretty disciplined! I definitely plan to do this one again next year.

NYPD Memorial Run 5.20

Last night I did not sleep well and my muscles are oddly sore, so when the alarm went off at 5am, Woody and I agreed pretty quickly to hit snooze and skip the gym this morning. Not the best way to start the week, but sometimes it has to be done. Can’t wait till next Monday when we can sleep in even later and still get a workout in!

  • Have you ever registered for a race the morning of?
  • If you raced this weekend, how did it go?
  • What was the highlight of your weekend?


Today’s workout – None. Slept in! I’ll do some stretching tonight.


Misszippy1 said...

Good for you! That had to have felt really, really good just to be back out there again. And representing Team Oiselle no less! Congrats.

Melissa Keller said...

way to go :-)

I've never registered morning of. But I did do a marathon last year where I registered the day before. That was my last marathon probably for a really long while

Suzanne Westenhofer said...

Very nice job with the race!

Lrios428 said...

That sounds like the best post-race EVER! Good job on your race.
I have actually never registered for a race the day of. I am very organized and plan my "running schedule" out months in advance.
I did the Marine Corp Half Marathon this Sunday. It did NOT go so well. I actually broke my foot at mile 3. (Obviously didnt know it was broken at the time) It was the most excruciating pain I have ever felt while running. I finished the run in 1:55 but I was very dissapointed.

Molly said...

Great job getting the race in!!!! I've never registered the morning of, I'm too anal for that : ) Enjoy the weekend!