Friday, April 20, 2012

Five for Friday

TGIF!!

1. Yesterday I was lucky enough to spend part of my day at Bloomberg HQ. While I’ve walked past the building at 59th and Lexington for years, it was my first time inside. It’s one of those workplaces where you aspire to work. The environment is bright with tons of natural light, pretty open workspaces where I was, amazing technology, open kitchens where you could grab coffee, juice, fruit, cereal and other snacks (for free), and the most comprehensive recycling system I’ve seen! There were even bins for recycling batteries! While I totally understand the argument against free food in the workplace (it can encourage longer working hours and fewer opportunities to step outside throughout the day) I also think it’s a great perk for employees because the fact is, people work really long hours and it’s nice when you don’t have to spend your own money on food and drink to help you get through those hours and having it quick at hand might help you get out a littler earlier at night since you didn’t spend time going out to get food. I really wish I could have snuck a picture of this place because it was simply amazing, but it didn’t work out. If you’re curious though … go HERE.

2. Sunday is Earth Day.The first Earth Day was celebrated in 1970 and the phrase was coined by (then) Senator Gaylord Nelson from Wisconsin. Little did he know that decades later it would be celebrated around the world. There are big events and volunteer opportunities happening here in New York and all over the country. It’s a great way to bring attention to the environment but also to our overall health. By walking instead of driving somewhere you save energy and burn calories!

3. The Tribeca Film Festival started Wednesday night. This annual film festival held at venues throughout the city was founded to celebrate Tribeca and get people back into the neighborhood after 9/11. Woody and I are going to two films this year – Burn and Broke. Yep, they are two separate films. It’s odd how similar the titles are, right? Burn is a documentary about Detroit which was executive produced by Denis Leary while Broke is by ESPN films about professional athletes who are unable to handle the riches that come with their fame and, well, go broke. We’ve seen several great films at the festival over the years and we’re excited to support it again, just wish the service charges weren’t almost the same amount as the actual ticket!

4. The other night I made a disappointing discovery. I said a while back I was planning to run the NYRR AHA Wall Street run in May. Well, I waited too long and the race filled up and I’m not running. It’s a big disappointment but one I brought on myself. Not sure why I hesitated so much, but now I have to make new plans. This weekend I’m going to look seriously at the races coming up through NYRR and other organizations and register. I guess I’m a little nervous about getting back out there. I’m running more, but not very long. I guess I just need more confidence still.

5. My birthday is coming up. I’m not big on celebrating birthdays, but I’m excited this year because I get the day off from work. How great is that? I can really use a long weekend. Now I just need to figure out how to spend it!

  • What are your favorite ways to protect the environment?
  • Any suggestions on a 3-4mile race I should use for my return post-injury?
  • What’s your perfect way to spend your Birthday?
  • What’s on tap for your weekend?

************

Today’s workout -

  • 42min elliptical
  • 3x12 lat pulldown
  • 3x12 tricep pushdown
  • 2x15 lateral arm raise
  • 100 ab exercises
  • stretching

1 comment:

Suzanne Westenhofer said...

Happy Early Birthday Lisa!