Monday, February 27, 2012

Making Strides

Happy Monday! I gotta say, I really hope this week isn’t quite as crazy as the last. I looovvveee long weekends, but I am not a fan of the four days that follow as they are usually jam packed with 5 days worth of work. Add to that the fact that the internet and email were down ALL day at my office on Friday and you have a bunch of exhausted and frustrated publicists. By the time our email started working Friday evening and emails started trickling in, in no specific order, most people had left the office in hopes to salvage the day by working at home on their own internet. This morning will be interesting.

Anyway, I mentioned progress. Well, I saw Sports Doc Wednesday afternoon and she was happy enough with my recovery that I didn’t have to schedule another follow up to see her! As much as I like her and everyone in her office, I am not eager to go back there. We discussed my next steps. I’m free to do yoga (yes, I jumped the gun last weekend) and slowly increase the intensity of my workouts, including running! To be totally truthful with you, she did say that the only way to guarantee that I won’t get another stress fracture is if I stop running. But she understands that for my psyche, this isn’t a great option for me. I’ve already given up the notion of long distance running, at least for the foreseeable future, but I am not ready to give up on running completely. With that established, she said that she is okay with me running shorter distances as long as I mix it with other, less stressful, activities. Okay, I can do that.

I haven’t run yet, but I’m going to give it a try next weekend. I’ll start slow with only a few minutes of jogging time on the treadmill at the gym. I’ll take it slow and see how it feels. I’m going to be smart about this. Grace and I already have a yoga date set for Sunday morning so I won’t be tempted to run two days in a row. I’m hoping to make yoga a weekly workout. This, plus more time spent on strength training and continuing with calcium and Vit D supplements will hopefully get me to a place where I can run without much worry and bring good bone density scan results.

After seeing Sports Doc I’m going to start thinking about my next race. Part of my love for running includes my love for racing. Even though I’m not going to challenge anyone for first place in a race, I love the camaraderie and excitement of race day. The buzz of anticipation at the start line. Unfortunately I don’t think I’ll be able to do my favorite race – the NY Mini 10K – in June, instead I am going to set my sights on a few shorter races, like 4 and 5 milers. I don’t think NYRR does a 5K, so I’ll be on the hunt for a non-NYRR race or two. If you know of any good ones around here, let me know!

One last quick thing. Speaking of running, I recently ordered this awesome top from Oiselle’s Spring line.

I’d post a pic of me in it, but I got Woody to take one at the gym Sunday morning and it didn’t turn out well. Mac is a much better model! Anyway, this top is awesome. It has a cute keyhole back, it’s super lightweight and wicks moisture like crazy. I’ve worn it a few times now and love it. Just noticed it’s now available in thee solid colors. (I might need to make another purchase soon!) As always, I definitely recommend checking out Oiselle’s site for cute, fashion-forward, yet functional running clothes!

Okay, this is a long post for Monday morning. Hope you had a great weekend and are ready for a great week!

  • What was the best part of your weekend?
  • Do you have favorite races you do each year?

***********

Today’s workout -

  • 35 min elliptical
  • 125 ab exercises
  • 1x50sec plank
  • 2x15 (ea. side) cable pull twists
  • 2x15 seated row
  • 3x12 lateral arm raise
  • 3x15 (ea. leg) kickbacks
  • stretching

3 comments:

Amanda Loudin said...

That's such great news, Lisa! It sounds like you have a solid plan in place to ease back into it, which is so key. By summer you'll be running all over NYC!

Melissa said...

Love that top, I'm sure it looks great on you.

Glad you are making progress and coming back at a slow and safe rate.

I will email you here in a bit, I have some news. I may be picking your brain soon ;-)

Blogger said...

You can earn $20 for completing a 20 minute survey!

Guess what? This is exactly what major companies are paying me for. They need to know what their average customer needs and wants. So these companies pay millions of dollars each month to the average person. In return, the average person, like me and you, fills out surveys and gives them their opinion.