Monday, February 13, 2012

BBQ Baked Tofu

I’ve been in a food rut lately, cooking the same dishes over and over, sometimes with a little twist, but basically the same things. Dinner is getting boring and I’m getting bored of cooking. I’m not a huge fan of tofu, I’ve only eaten it a handful of times, and I definitely don’t endorse eating a diet high in soy products, but I had a tofu dish at a Chinese restaurant a few weeks ago and have wanted to try making it sometime at home. A few years ago I made THIS tomato basil quiche. It was the only other time we’ve had tofu in our apartment.

Last night, I had the tofu but I really wasn’t sure what I was going to do with it until I started! I had looked at several recipes before going to Whole Foods and just before starting to put dinner together. I knew I needed firm or extra-firm tofu and to drain and press it (I put it between paper towels on a plate then weighted it down with a sauce pan and a can of beans). We ended up with BBQ baked tofu with veggies and quinoa. Here’s how it went (hint: it was super easy!).


BBQ Baked Tofu

Ingredients:

  • 1 pkg firm tofu
  • Your favorite BBQ Sauce

Process:

  1. Drain then press tofu for 30 minutes.
  2. Cut block in half, then into slices. Cut each slice in half so you have about 16 pieces.
  3. Preheat oven to 375’
  4. Prepare a baking sheet then lay slices in rows close together and spread BBQ sauce evenly on tops of slices
  5. Bake for 15 minutes
  6. Turn slices over and spread BBQ on other side, return to oven and bake another 15 – 20 minutes. Turn again if needed till sides are browned.

IMG_1541


I paired the tofu with steamed broccoli and cherry tomatoes, plus quinoa. It really was a healthy dish, and I was pretty happy with how it turned out! Woody wasn’t too sure about it, specifically because he said he wasn’t used to the texture. He ate it all though, so that’s good! I’d make it again, but I’m not sure he’d be to keen on it, so it might be a while before I do, or maybe when he’s going to be out of town! I may try tofu again as part of a quinoa salad, rather than as the main dish.

************

Today’s workout -

  • 35 minute elliptical
  • 2x15 bent row
  • 2x15 tricep kickback
  • 2x15 lat pull down
  • 125 ab exercises
  • 1x45sec plank
  • stretching

1 comment:

Katie Schmidt said...

I am totally afraid of tofu too! I don't really know what to do with it. I thought I was the only vegetarian who didn't use it!