Monday, September 5, 2011

Detroit Half-Marathon Training Recap: Week 4

Okay, so I just finished the fourth week of my training plan but this is only my second recap. You might remember I took a week off from the plan that overlapped between weeks two and three because my right leg was bothering me a bit. I’m glad I took the week off from running (I did spend a good amount of time on the elliptical and stationary bike) but now I’m trying to jump back into the schedule…smartly.

detroit half wk 4

Monday -

I opted for a rest day on Monday because I was absolutely exhausted after Hurricane Irene weekend.

Tuesday -

Trying to get back into running I opted for 4miles instead of 3, combined with stretching and ab exercises.

Wednesday -

Cross training day at the gym. 45 minutes on the elliptical, stretching and strength training.

Thursday -

Ran the 5 miles but they were slow and no tempo miles. My focus was getting the distance in rather than the speed. It was a good run. Paired with more stretching and ab work.

Friday -

Second rest day. I took the day off from work, so I stretched and did a little yoga for a good 20 minutes before breakfast. Did quite a bit of walking around the city throughout the day.

Saturday -

3 miles on the plan, 3 miles done. Finished off with some strength training and stretching before and after.

Sunday -

Tackled a 7 mile run. It wasn’t very easy, there were a few times I wanted to stop, but I kept giving myself goals ahead of me to reach; 42nd St, the light post in the distance, 59th St turn, the top of the massive hill. Then, I was done. I don’t know why I set up the route to finish on a massive hill, but I got up it. I think the couple waiting to cross the street at 9th and 59th thought I was about to pass out. At least I was right near a hospital! (just kidding. sort of.) After cooling down, I picked up some watermelon at Whole Foods and felt horrible for those on the same subway car as myself as I went home. I stretched some more and iced my legs a little. Overall, definitely glad I pushed through this run and finished it but I have a lot of progress to make in the next six weeks.

Total miles for the week: 19

  • How is your holiday weekend going?
  • Did you do a long run, race or take a fitness class this weekend? How did it go?

************

Today’s workout -

  • 35min stationary bike
  • 2x12 back extension
  • 2x15 bent row
  • 2x18 tricep extension
  • 2x16 lateral arm raise
  • stretching

4 comments:

Elle said...

Good for you for listening to your knee and giving it a bit of a rest...a d very nice going with the 7 miler.

I am very interested in halfs right now so will be following your training for sure.

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

Nice job. I didn't know you are running the Detroit Half. It's going to be great!

Kelly said...

nice running! I usually have massive hills towards the end of my runs too, and every time I wonder why the heck I did that. Hehe, I'll never learn.

Callie said...

I hear ya on the 5 miles with no tempo. Some days it's all about completing the mileage as opposed to burning yourself out with a couple quick ones. Are you following the half marathon training plan for the Runner's World magazine a couple months ago? That's the one I used and it looks similar. I really liked it! I especially loved the 3 miles on Tuesdays...nice and easy :)