1. Quick injury update: I got lucky and got to see a doctor at the Women's Sports Medicine Clinic because someone had cancelled their appointment. I'm not thrilled, at all, with her conjecture about my injury, but I have an MRI scheduled for Tuesday then a follow up appointment with her at the end of the week. Immediately I felt more at ease at the clinic than at the other office I had been to earlier in the week and am more confident in her background and experience. Hopefully the MRI doesn't show anything and it really is a muscular issue. My leg hasn't hurt too much today, but I'm sticking with the elliptical till I see the doc next and hoping that I can still run in Philly. I'm missing the Scotland Run Sunday though.
2. The NYRR YPC has another event next Wednesday. Lauren Slayton, a nutritionist at Foodtrainers, will be giving us nutrition tips specifically for female runners. It's going to be a great event and we've already filled to capacity a week ahead!
3. So, apparently there is this thing called the US Barista Competition. The purpose is to "highlight the craft of the barista and espresso-based beverage production" and the Northeast Regional competition is happening this weekend in NYC at Milk Studios on W 15th Street. The first round is today and Saturday with the finals on Sunday. Sounds kind of random and fun. There are 5 other regions, so there's probably one near you if you're an espresso lover and want to check it out!
4. Like San Francisco has done, some people in NYC are now pushing a ban on toys with fast food meals for kids. I had my fair share of toys from McDonald's and Burger King growing up and I really don't know what to think of this ban; does it really make the meals less appealing to kids? Are parents less likely to buy them for their kids just because there isn't a toy with it? I'm likely to say the answer to both questions is no. What do you think?
5. It's been raining here a lot this week but I am really excited that Spring is right around the corner (or, is it technically here already?) and warmer weather along with it. I love New York in the Spring and everything it brings with it; flowers, going outside without a winter coat and gloves, sunshine, street fairs, sidewalk dining, walks in Central Park, busy farmer's markets, my birthday.... what do you look forward to about Spring?
Yesterday's workout -
40 min elliptical
1x40 sec plank on exercise ball
2x10 side squats with resistance bands
Today's workout -
None. Rest day.