Well, we've almost made it through the first week of 2011! How has it gone for you? It hasn't been too bad for me, but I'm definitely looking forward to the weekend! Here are a few random things I wanted to share with you...
1. I read about an interesting app the other day that helps people pair their food and drink (not just wine). It is the mobile version of the best selling book What to Drink with What You Eat so you can figure out what works together when you're at a restaurant, wine shop, grocery store. I don't have an iPhone, so I haven't used this myself, but it sounds really useful and incredibly convenient!
2. I've talked about one of my favorite Michigan small businesses before - Cherry Republic. The other day, I got their e-newsletter (I won't be unsubscribing from this one) and learned about a very interesting and unusual promotion they're running. Apparently, they're helping out people who received gift cards for the holidays that they don't want by bartering with them for CR products! So far they've exchanged Boomchunkas, salsa and more for Barnes & Noble, Cheesecake Factory, Am Ex and other gift cards. Is it just me or is this not a great idea for a small business to gain even more loyalty from their customers!?
3. Sunday night an email came through on my blackberry from our group leader at work telling us there had been a flood in the office. She said it wasn't too destructive but some things had been moved around and a few people would be displaced until everything was cleaned up. Well, it was a little worse than we had been led to believe. Half the office was full of industrial fans, all the baseboards were torn off the walls, carpet was pulled up and bubbly. It was a mess. And loud. Finally the fans disappeared yesterday but the place is still a mess and there's a constant musty smell. Hopefully the insurance check will come soon and the carpet can be replaced. It's definitely been an interesting first week back.
4. Have you ever read Reader's Digest? (I love the reader submitted jokes) They just launched a new website and e-newsletter with a corresponding twitter account, MyBestYou. It's aimed at women 35 and over and "serves as a guide for looking great, staying healthy, eating well and embracing life." Reader's Digest has been a respected magazine for decades and I hope this website does well as an extension of the brand.
5. Woody and I received an incredibly great package yesterday! His mom sent us a box of honeybell oranges and grapefruits from Florida. She sent us a box in December and just as we were finishing them off, here arrives another box! Woody is extremely excited as he loves his citrus. I only just started eating grapefruit last year (I thought it was too tart until then) but I do love a good orange. As he said "we'll be all sorts of healthy this winter!"
What's the best thing that's happened to you during the first week of 2011?
today's workout -
none. much needed rest day.