Monday, November 29, 2010

Weekend in Review

I don't know about you, but I had a really relaxing weekend! Woody and I stayed home in again this year. This was my seventh Thanksgiving in NYC (I really can hardly believe I've been out here that long!) and I've stayed in town each year. The weekend is just too short and too hectic I think to travel home. I'd love to spend the holiday with family (my great aunt and uncle put on a great party each year) but we also like to have a stress free weekend.

Thursday: We ran the turkey trot in Prospect Park Thursday morning and had a great Thanksgiving feast in the evening (read about it HERE).

Friday: The alarm was never set and we slept and just hung out all day. The only things I did that were productive were taking a shower, writing a blog post, mailing the Fit for a Runner giveaway prize to Amber (sorry it took so long Amber) and going to a coffee shop to read for a while.

Saturday: We were back to the normal weekend schedule and I started with a very chilly and windy 4.5mile run. It was about 34' and the wind was brisk to say the least. I wore my winter running cap for the first time this season and I'm glad I did. My ears would have been frozen by the time I got home and a baseball cap would have blown away as soon as I got to the promenade. There were quite a few other runners out and I doubt I was the only one who felt like I was getting an extra workout running into the wind! When I got back, I made a call to Road Runner Sports. I had ordered a pair of thermo running tights from them the week before and they arrived Friday. Unfortunately they were too big and definitely not compressing like they should! I spoke with a guy named Dennis who was very helpful. Unfortunately they've discontinued the thermo tights and there were none left in the size I need but he helped me find another pair that will hopefully work and made sure they'd go out today as I ship back the other pair. I'm crossing my fingers that the new pair arrives before the weekend and that they fit. This is the one thing I really don't like about ordering online - unless I'm buying something I already have, I never know if it's going to fit and it just takes a lot longer than going into a store. Unfortunately there aren't any Road Runner Sports stores nearby.

After all this, Woody and I went to one of the MSU alumni bars in the city to watch the last football game of the regular season - the annual game against Penn State. After some great plays and some really horrible plays, the Spartans won in Happy Valley for the first time since before Joe Pa started coaching there. Yes, that long ago. It was the 1960's! This win also meant that MSU shares the Big 10 title with Wisconsin and Ohio State. We're used to titles in Basketball, but not so much in Football, so this has been a fantastic season! We stopped at Union Square to hit up the farmer's market and the holiday market on the way home. It was cold.

Sunday: Yesterday started with another run. This one was a little over 5 miles, I think about 5.25 but not quite sure. I decided to make a few little changes to the route as I went along and checked out a new park on a pier along the west side highway just north of Battery Park City. It looks like a great park and I'm sure it'll be packed next summer! I was incredibly productive after the run, finishing my cleaning duties, unloading the dishwasher, washing the sheets and my laundry, and having breakfast all before noon. I spent a couple hours in the afternoon reading at a coffee shop, unfortunately, I figured out late last night, around 11:30pm that they probably gave me regular coffee instead of decaf. I got about 5 hours of sleep last night, if that. Once I got home I spent almost the rest of the evening cooking. I'll write all about this tomorrow, but let me just say, while it took a while to make dinner, it was DELICIOUS! And we have plenty of leftovers for tonight, so the time was worth it.

Today: I got up at the normal time and hit the gym even with only a few hours of sleep. If I'm going to make it through the day, I need a burst of energy and a good workout is what I needed. Hopefully by the end of the day I'm still thinking that was the right decision!

On my way home from the coffee shop yesterday, I saw a choir singing in front of the Christmas tree at South Street Seaport!

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving weekend. What was the highlight for you?
************
Saturday's workout -
4.5 mile run
stretching

Sunday's workout -
~5.25mile run
stretching

Today's workout -
45 min/5mile elliptical
3x40sec planks
3x10 upright row
stretching

1 comment:

Karen Seal said...

Sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving! My favorite part besides hanging with family and friends: Shopping on Black Friday! lol :0) Hope you have a great day!