Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Peanut Butter & Banana French Toast

Okay, bare with me for a minute and let's back up a few days. When I finally made it home after my 5.5 mile run and visit to the ING NYC Marathon Expo on Saturday I was pretty hungry and decided to try something different than usual for a late breakfast! It was my first time trying this, so I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but it turned out really well and I can't wait to make it for Woody! Actually it was delicious and a bit indulgent. I think this would be a great dish when you have people over for brunch!

So, I got the basic idea for this brunch from Katlin at The Healthy Tipping Point, but changed it up a bit. I love french toast but I've never made it myself before and I hardly get it when we go out for brunch because it is so high in calories and not too nutritious. Also, if it's not challah french toast, it tends to be soggy and disappointing. Even though I don't have the specific nutrition data on this version, I can't imagine it's too bad!

Peanut Butter & Banana French Toast
ingredients
2 pieces whole wheat bread
1tbs peanut butter (I used PB&Co Mighty Maple)
1/2 banana, thinly sliced
1 egg, beaten
1tsp vanilla almond milk (regular milk is fine)
cinnamon to taste
non-stick cooking spray

1. Spread each piece of toast with peanut butter, place banana slices on one piece and then top it with the other slice.


2. Beat the egg, almond milk and cinnamon lightly in a dish and dip the sandwich in the mixture to coat well. Make sure to get the edges as well.


3. Heat the sandwich in a skillet till brown and a little crunchy on each side.


4. It's ready when thoroughly cooked through. Add a little pure maple syrup if you like!


This turned out perfectly! I loved it and can't wait to make it for Woody next weekend. It really didn't take long to make, and I'm sure now that I've made it once it will taken even less time. I could probably make it during the week when I take a day of from working out and have a little more time in the morning. I really do recommend that you try this, and let me know what you think if you do!

What is your favorite indulgence when you go out to brunch?
************
today's workout -
45minute elliptical
3x10 weighted side bends
2x40sec plank
stretching

7 comments:

Emz said...

okay.
this.
is
heaven.

I eat this after my long runs on Friday's. THE BEST!

Q said...

Oh yum! I love PB and banana sandwiches, and I love French Toast, so I will have to try this!

My indulgence when I go out is eggs benedict, it's purely delicious and SO unhealthy.

Kruns2 said...

I'll have to give it a try. I've had my dose of banana today so maybe tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. thanks for the idea!

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

that really looks good! I may have to try that soon! :)

Nicky @ Eat, Run, Read said...

Oh wow. that looks amazing. I can't wait to try and make it! YUM!

Sarah (Running To Slow Things Down) said...

That looks awesome! :D Peanut butter and banana sandwiches are the best thing on earth. Even better when they're toasted and warm. Mmm...

MICHELLE LUKEZIC said...

Awesome! I'll give it a shot! My husband is vegan, but I bet it would still work with egg replacer!