I hope you're all getting ready for a great holiday weekend. To help you along, I've put together a special 4th of July themed "5 for Friday" so let me get to it:
1. If you're one of the millions of Americans planning to grill over the weekend, HERE are some healthy and delicious sounding grilling recipes.
2. S'mores are always a great way to end the day when you're camping or enjoying a cookout. They're easy to make over campground fire pits and coal grills, all you need is a flame! Here is what you'll need for my new favorite combination:
- Honey Maid Graham crackers (they really do work better than off brands)
- Jet Puffed marshmallows (again, they puff better than off brands)
- Hershey chocolate bars
- Peanut Butter & Co white chocolate wonderful!
3. Breaking News: Takeru Kobayashi is OUT of the Annual Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest in Coney Island on Sunday. This stunning announcement all but assures that Joey Chesnut will once again leave with a belly full of hot dogs and a sparkling new trophy. If you can't make it to Coney Island don't fret. You can watch the competition, which began in 1916, on ESPN at Noon EST. Click HERE to play Nathan's online game for a chance to win a judging spot for the 2011 contest!
4. According to the US Census, there are 31 places (towns, villages, cities, etc) in the US with the word "Liberty" in its name. Iowa has four of them: Libertyville, New Liberty, North Liberty and West Liberty. In 1776, when the Declaration of Independence was signed, there were approximately 2.5 million people in the entire country (which seems impressive to me). Today, there are approximately 309.6 million.
5. It's a sad fact that many communities around the country have cancelled their fireworks celebrations this year due to budget issues. If you're not able to see a fireworks demonstration live, you can always watch the Macy's 4th of July Fireworks on NBC at 9pm EST straight from the Hudson River. If you want to head to a festival or fair this weekend, HERE is a list of a few happening around the country this weekend.
Woody and I are planning a picnic in Central Park on Sunday, even though it's going to be really, really hot. What are you doing for 4th of July? Anyone running a race this weekend?
Enjoy your weekend and have fun celebrating our independence and freedom!
workout stats -