Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Delayed Response

A couple weeks ago, Molly honored me with the "Versatile Blogger Award" which has been floating its way through the bloggy community for a while now. While it may not seem like it, because this post is so incredibly delayed, I am extremely honored to have been included in her list of bloggers!

According to the award rules, I am to list seven facts about myself and then pass it on to 15 new blogger friends. Well, let's see how I do on the facts first:
1. My best days tend to start with a great workout. (Today is looking pretty promising) 
2. I love to eat a healthy diet - 90% of the time. During the other 10%, I love to indulge in really good chocolate, ice cream, and other delicious treats! I think it's necessary for me to enjoy life!
3. I've recently found that I really enjoy spending time in the kitchen to cook tasty (I wouldn't say, delicious, yet) and healthy meals.
4. I truly believe Northern Michigan is one of the most beautiful places in the world and have been known to tear up a little when I hear Jeff Daniels voice over on the Pure Michigan commercials.
5. I am the third generation of Michigan State University alumna in my family. (Both sides are filled with Spartans).
6. My husband and I were married on Michigan State's campus on June 9th, 2007. Our reception was in Spartan Stadium.
7. We had an ice cream sundae bar at the end of the reception. MSU Dairy Store ice cream, of course!

Speaking of my new found cooking talents... I've been cooking quite a bit lately. Trying out new recipes from the Cooking Light cookbook I purchased a few weeks ago, and also just trying new things. We didn't have plans yesterday for a picnic or cookout, but I thought I'd treat Woody to a cookout-esque dinner anyway! This was my plate:
An all white meat turkey burger with diced red, green and orange peppers, onion, and a mix of ground pepper, chipotle and ground cumin. There are black beans with onion and fresh ground pepper, a broccoli slaw with added orange pepper and a light dressing of EVOO and fresh lemon juice and a few sweet potato chips. The burger was really moist, and I liked the combination of spices. The two things I'd change (and Woody agreed): more dressing on the slaw and I still have to work out the timing on the chips. I think the temp needed to be lower. Overall though, it was really good and a great Memorial Day dinner.

If you haven't yet received the "Versatile Blogger" award, consider yourself honored! Please tell us 7 facts about yourself and enjoy the first day of June!
************
workout stats -
17.5 mi bike
3x10 cable pull twists
3x10 weighted side bends
3x10 upright row
100 crunches
foam roller and stretching

5 comments:

Running Through Phoenix said...

My wife uses Cooking Light all the time. We have a brocolli slaw similar to that about once per week. We're hooked!

Life with Kaishon said...

Oh my goodness. Your meal looks stunning. Very pretty. I can't imagine that it was not insanely delicious :) Very nice! So excited for you and your new hobby : )

Robyn said...

Yum that looks good. How fun to get married on campus!

Heather (Where's the Beach) said...

Your reception sounds so fun! How cool.

Bridges Runner said...

Thats awesome! Getting married in your school's stadium. Fun post