Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Great Minds Read Alike - A Rare Mid-Day Post

I just can't resist but mention something that happened this morning while it is still fresh on the mind.

Gracela stopped in my office this morning on the way to hers, with book in hand proclaiming that I "MUST read this book!" I looked up from my computer to see what was in her hand and it was none other than Michael Pollan's book "In Defense of Food." I immediately proclaimed that I had bought it over the weekend and had just started reading it too! At the bookstore I had debated between this one and another of his books "An Omnivore's Dilemma." I decided to skip that and move straight to this one, but I can tell already that I will read the other soon.

Straight from the start I am intrigued by the information Pollan is divulging. Like the fact that back in 1977 reports were showing that our diet was contributing to an increasing rate of chronic diseases such as diabetes, obesity, heart disease, and cancer. Immediately it reminded me of the recent study released by the American Institute for Cancer Research that found excess body fat is linked to several cancers including breast, endometrial, kidney, colorectal, and others. I am hooked and can't wait for the bus ride home so I can continue reading.

I think Gracela and I may turn our run nights into book nights until we are given the go-ahead from our doctors to run again! Good way to use some time, right?

If you've read either of Pollan's books, please, don't spoil it for me, but I'd love to hear what you think! I'm sure I'll post a book review when I'm through, so stay tuned!

I hope you're all having a great day!

3 comments:

Chris said...

This is a great book! I read it last February.

B.o.B. said...

I keep hearing about this book! Can't wait to read your review. I am little scared it may make us never want McDonalds again! Hm. Ok, so that's probably a good thing. :)

Barbara said...

Sounds interesting.
Did Grace have knee problems in the marathon ? Are you 2 hobbling between offices ?