Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Countdown to Thanksgiving!

Tomorrow morning I plan to stop by the Farmer's Market before going to work, so I'm going to write my post now since I won't have time tomorrow.

To follow the trend, here are a few of my Thanksgiving Survival Tips:
1. Find time to fit in a workout in the morning - a quick run, trip to the gym, walk around the block - to burn a few calories before the day gets going.
2. Eat a good breakfast with a nice amount of fiber and protein. You want to start the day of well with a balanced meal. Like every other day, breakfast is definitely important and not to be skipped!
3. Have low cal, filling foods like veggies and hummus to snack on while cooking or as appetizers when the festivities begin.
4. When possible, replace high fat/cal ingredients with healthier options in recipes, and use whole foods as much as possible rather than processed items.
5. Stick to the white meat of the turkey and go easy on high cal casseroles and sauces.
6. Use smaller plates for main dishes. A full plate, even though it's smaller, will still fill you up!
7. Go ahead and enjoy dessert, but watch the portion size!
8. Enjoy time with family and friends! Go for a walk after dinner, play games, laugh, and have fun!
9. Take a moment to stop and think about all the things you are thankful for this year and be sure to tell those people close to you how thankful you are for having them in your life!

One of our family traditions growing up was to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Until this year when the route changed due to the new pedestrian plazas along Broadway, it went right in front of my office, so my first year out here I even got to watch the parade from our office windows! It's a bit crazy to see it in person, but I plan to watch on TV today after we get back from the gym and before I start cooking our dinner. It's a little difficult to cook for two, but still a great excuse to make a tasty, healthy, traditional meal!

******
Be sure to check in over the weekend. I am going to announce my VERY FIRST giveaway! I'm not going to disclose what the prize is yet, but here's a hint: if you enjoy holiday music, you'll LOVE this giveaway!

******

I wish you all a VERY HAPPY & HEALTHY THANKSGIVING!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Love the list especially the last one. I'm always thankful for those close to me but I think most of the time I forget to tell THEM how thankful I am! Have a great Thanksgiving!

Tricia said...

Great list!

Happy Thanksgiving!