Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Still Running

I’ve been struggling the last few weeks with sore feet. Well, more than sore, actually. Painful. At times it has been difficult to walk, so needless to say, I’ve been quite worried about my marathon prospects. I visited a stand-in podiatrist (mine wasn’t available) two weeks ago who didn’t see anything on the x-rays, taped up my left foot for a few days, and told me to come back in a week. Yesterday was my checkup with the podiatrist I had seen four years ago when I fractured my left foot. He pushed and prodded and declared that I have stressed my tarsal-metatarsal joint, in both feet. Apparently I am quite talented because he has no idea how I managed that.

The Doc prescribed lots of ice and anti-inflammatories, but said I can run! He has run 18 marathons and was just in Chicago working with the elite runners over the weekend, so I trust his judgment and advice. I was fitted for orthotics that I will have to wear after the marathon, but that’s okay. I used to think orthotics were for older people with delicate feet and were a sign of weakness, but I’ve actually learned that several of my peers wear them and really like them. If it means I can keep running and walking as much as I like to and it will be more comfortable, I am all for it. With fashion the way it is, most of us do not wear the shoes we should to protect our feet and then we end up with foot problems. I think it is especially evident here in the city since many of us walk a lot. We’re too worried about what the shoes on our feet look like (and for good reason in some instances) that we forget the fact that we only have two feet and we need to be good to them.

Even though I have pain at some points during the day, I am SO happy that I do not have stress fractures and I can still run the marathon! I have one more 15 mile run to do and then I’m in full out taper mode. Hopefully that will help lessen the stress on the joints and after the race I’ll take it easy during recovery to heal. This experience is about crossing the finish line and completely months of training. My first marathon is not about hitting a time goal for me. I want to take in the entire experience, see the city, the people, the excitement.

Today's lesson: take care of your feet people!

1 comment:

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Hehehe Honey Bucket is the company in my area that provides the porta potties.. I have always referred to portable toilets as honey buckets :)

OUCH!! I hope your feet get or atleast feel better. Especially with the Marathon so close..