Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Minor Setback

First, let me take a moment to apologize. I started this blog with the intention to talk about a wide range of topics – fitness, nutrition, environmental issues, tips for living a ‘green’ life, and running – but lately I find that I’m really just writing about running. That is probably due to the fact that running is on the top of my mind these days. When I’m not running or working, I’m probably thinking about running. With only 34 days left until the Marathon, it pretty much consumes my thoughts, my dreams, my conversations… there is still so much I need to do and accomplish before November 1st. So, I will try my best to add a few pointers or bits of information along the way, but please excuse me while I have a one track mind for the next month.

****
As you all know, I was supposed to run the Marathon Tune-Up today. Unfortunately, I have to admit it didn't happen for me. After taking a sick day to rest on Friday, I got a good night's sleep Friday night and felt better Saturday morning. I didn't want to go back on my commitment to Step Up so I made my way to the W Hotel on Lex to volunteer at the annual fundraiser Step Up & Step Out. I have to say, I had one of the easiest jobs possible - sitting at the membership table to answer questions and sign up to members! I met some great women yesterday and the event was a success, but I was exhausted by the time I got home a little after 5pm. An hour later I had passed out watching Lethal Weapon 4 and my husband woke me up just before 7. I never take naps, so it was obvious that I still wasn't back to normal. The weather forecast on all the local news channels and the Weather Channel were saying rain was coming into the area and wouldn't be out until Sunday afternoon. Not good. I decided to set my alarm for 5:15 take a look outside and check the weather before making my decision. If it was cold and raining I would have to skip the race. I need to get better, not worse. I wasn't even sure if I would be able to finish the first lap of the park, let alone three of them!

I didn’t sleep well last night. Maybe because I had taken the nap or maybe because I was worried I wouldn’t get my run in today. Either way, it was pouring when I woke up and there was a huge green glob covering the tri-state area on the radar. It was cold too. I made the tough decision to get back into bed and add two hours to my alarm. It continued to rain until about 4:30 this afternoon, so I’m glad I went to the gym and got in a workout on the elliptical and the stationary bike. I also did a bit of stretching and used the foam roller to work out a few kinks in my legs.

Kim, a Step Up friend, who is also co-owner of In Shape, LLC, was kind enough to offer support and advice today. I’m so nervous that I’m really setting myself back by skipping the long run today. She assured me that being healthy is most important and it’s okay that I missed the long run today. She also suggested that I do two runs on one day to bump up my mileage and as long as my second run is a couple miles longer than my first and I push through the last few miles, it’ll be similar to one long run. I don’t know if I’ll be able to get in two runs that equal 20 miles, but I am going to make this happen. Thanks for the advice and support Kim!!

****

This week I am going to change up my diet a bit. Monday thru Friday I basically eat the same breakfast each day. It’s easy, it’s healthy, and I know it will keep me full and satisfied until I can eat lunch. I ran out of yogurt on Friday and I didn’t get any this weekend so I wouldn’t be tempted to fall back into my regular routine. Instead, I’m going to have either oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, or Kashi cereal and skim milk. I’ll continue to have fruit and toast with peanut butter since I know that helps satisfy my protein needs, but the yogurt and granola is out! It’s so easy to fall into a pattern and not get out of it. For months I ate a veggie patty with avocado (or a laughing cow cheese wedge) and lettuce, carrots, humus and an apple, every day at work. My breakfast wouldn’t change either and dinner was pretty much the same from day to day. No alterations no compromises. Our bodies get into a rut when we do this and we need to mix it up every once in a while. I’ve been better about my lunches this year, but not my breakfast. This week, I’m going to change that and next weekend I’ll let you all know how I did. Hopefully I’ll be much healthier and have more energy.

I boiled the eggs today so I don’t have to worry about finding time during the week. Lucky husband, I boiled a few for him too!






No comments: