Monday, December 20, 2010

Weekend Warrior

We had a busy weekend! I'm kind of exhausted and not everything is done, but I'm really happy about all we accomplished. We even got a little bit of time Sunday evening to relax...a little.

Since I started running again after my latest foot injury, my weekend workouts have mostly just consisted of running and/or yoga. While I was injured and before I started training for the marathon last year, I would extend my weekend workouts to take advantage of the fact that I didn't have to rush to work. Well, I've decided that it's about time I start doing that again. I liked being done with laundry and my cleaning duties on Sunday morning before 11:30am, but if I'm going to drop these few pesky pounds and pump up a little, I have to make some changes.

Last week I added 5 minutes to my time on the elliptical each morning. It's not a lot, but it's something. I also increased the intensity for a portion of the time.

Saturday and Sunday after my runs I came inside and headed to the gym in our building for workout pt 2: core work, stretching, strength training and a little more cardio time.

I felt great and accomplished each morning by the end. Well rounded workouts. Neither were too heavy with the weights, but it's more than I was doing before and on weekends when I'm not quite so busy, then I'll be able to spend a bit more time on it.

Each run was pretty good. I hadn't run since last Saturday, but my legs were really loose Saturday morning. It was pretty cold but the sun was shining brightly and that helped warm me up. Sunday was a different story though. It was a few degrees warmer but also really cloudy so it felt colder. The tights feel great, but they definitely were not enough for the temps. At least not for me. My legs were cold the entire time and my quads started hurting a bit by mile 5. Plus, there was a strong headwind running north along the East River which made it tougher. It was still a pretty good run though and I'm glad I got out there.

On the life side of things, we also got a lot done. A little Christmas shopping, grocery shopping, bought a new table lamp to match one we already have, finally hung some pictures on the walls after four months being in this apartment, wrote some Christmas cards, cleaned the apartment, hit up the last New Amsterdam Market until Spring, spent some quality girl time with Kether and Grace, and cooked two really tasty and healthy dinners for us. And after a busy weekend, we indulged in a little treat my parents sent us: Boomchunkas! (my favorite cookie ever)


I still have some things to do this week before my parents arrive, but I'm confident it will all get done and we'll have a great visit!

How do you deal with the busy holiday season?

The Week Ahead:
book review: "Run to Overcome"
Columbia winter coat & hat review
************
Saturday's workout -
6mile run
20min elliptical
3x10 squat/ball throw
125 crunches
3x10 hammer curls
3x10 bicep curls
1x50sec plank
stretching

Sunday's workout -
5.5mile run
20minute elliptical
3x10 weighted side bends
3x10 overhead tricep extension
100 crunches
stretching

today's workout -
50min/5.7mile elliptical
3x10 lateral arm raise
3x10 front arm raise
stretching

4 comments:

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

Lisa - I tagged you on my last post.

http://detroitrunner.blogspot.com/2010/12/ive-been-tagged.html

H Love said...

Dang girl! Nice job...you are going to be so strong.

Kate Geisen said...

I'm so jealous of your building gym. That would be great! You're inspiring me, at least, to drag out the workout dvds. On the mornings it's too icy out to run, at least I can be doing something.

Rose @ Eat, Drink, and Be Meiri said...

As an introvert, the holidays get a little bit stressful. Tonight is the only night this week that I'm not going out and being social. I'm trying not to stress about it too much. I keep telling myself that every event I'm going to will be fun, and I will get to see people I love and wish them a Merry Christmas. And, I will have essentially a four day weekend, so I'll be okay.